A465 and Ogof Capel/Craig a Ffynnon

T

theFerret

I was just wondering all if anyone knew any more on this. I am local to the area and the Clydach gorge section of Dualling is due to start next. Having recently bin in taking photos of Capel and CAF i wonder how long all those amazing straws will last when construction begins, especially since Capel is directly below and not far under the current road. At present as far as i know the caves have SSSI status but this wont be good enough protection to stop damage being caused by such a large project. Have any groups/individuals looked into further protection, has all this process already been done and sorted and ive just missed it?? Im just wondering how protected they are right now before the whole thing starts.

Duncan Price

They are not in the SSI.  Capel may be affected, Craig ar Ffynnon not.  The breakthrough choke in Capel is not below the existing road but the connection with Ogof Gelynnon is (http://www.sump4.com/downloads/ogof_capel.JPG) - haven't drawn in the connection because I haven't surveyed it due to the amount of scaffolding.  The breakthough choke in Capel was radiolocated as well as being surveyed to via the sumps.

Pwll-y-Cwm may also suffer from construction materials "lost" over the cliff edge.

T

theFerret

Duncan, cheers for that, i didnt realise how close to the road things were so it seems like the formations will be ok but bit dodgy for the connection choke hope that holds out with the good scaffolding work done. An lets hope not too much is "lost" into the gorge!!

kay

It would be worth writing with your concerns to whichever authority is responsible for the road, to raise consciousness if it is needed. Write, rather than phone, because your letter will be directed to the right person, and because it has to be replied to within 15 days. Phone as well by all means.

KevinR

There was a public consultation at which my girlfriend raised the subject about caves, the PR people were aware, but didn't have any concrete answers. So yes worth lodging a letter or two.
Kevin

mrodoc

KevinR said:
There was a public consultation at which my girlfriend raised the subject about caves, the PR people were aware, but didn't have any concrete answers. So yes worth lodging a letter or two.
Kevin

I hope they aren't concrete!