Promoting your caving club

Wolfart

Just spent a succseful day in Hereford town promoting our caving club with a display of what we do and where we go with photo's ,art work, kit and publications and other stuff.The result was that quite a lot of people were interested in what we do(only 2 negative about putting other peoples lives in danger on rescue but we put them straight on that) and two trips worth of novice cavers + a trip for youngsters to be done through an outdoor activity centre which one of our group works at. All in all a succsesful day.
Has any other clubs tried this method to get more people interested in getting them away from computer games and telly and out into the fresh air?

ian mckenzie

I think a proper website is the answer to club promotion.  Newsletters are for members, but websites are for the public.  Everyone who wants info an anything these days goes on line.

dunc

I think a proper website is the answer to club promotion.  Newsletters are for members, but websites are for the public.  Everyone who wants info an anything these days goes on line.
Websites are very useful for promoting your club, but only if people visit them. Getting out amongst the public promotes caving to people that would otherwise not think of trying caving or even visiting a website..

Has any other clubs tried this method to get more people interested in getting them away from computer games and telly and out into the fresh air?
Sounds like some clubs should do as it seems to work!  (y)

SamT

very much depends if you want random punters off the street joining your club.

ducks and covers.

LarryFatcat

Wolfart said:
Just spent a succseful day in Hereford town promoting our caving club with a display of what we do and where we go with photo's ,art work, kit and publications and other stuff.The result was that quite a lot of people were interested in what we do(only 2 negative about putting other peoples lives in danger on rescue but we put them straight on that) and two trips worth of novice cavers + a trip for youngsters to be done through an outdoor activity centre which one of our group works at. All in all a succsesful day.
Good on you!
Other posters are correct that the web site is one of the most effective methods of publicising your club but not the only one.  The Eldon Stomp for instance?

Ian Adams

Hi,

We are looking to start promoting our club to attract new members in the area. Whilst discussing it among the members, the question of insurance was raised for the following scenerio ....

If someone approached the club and said they would like to give it a go (try it out), how would they (and us) stand with insurance ?  (The club and it's members are already insured with the standard BCA package but the "guest" obviously isn't).

Could the club offer to host "taster evenings" for wannabe cavers (say, a group of 6 new potential recruits) ?

(*nudge's Les W)

Thanks,

Ian

cap n chris

IIRC "Trying it out" potential members/one-off visitors don't need to be insured for reasons covered elsewhere.

Ian Adams

Hi, Really sorry Nick, I thought Les was the insurance "buff"  :-[

..... but thanks for your answer  ;)

Regards,

Ian

Ian Adams

Actually, (because I am mostly a numpty), I still don't understand the position (probably because I haven't explained the question properly).....

If we attract (say) 6 people "off the street" who want to give caving a try (because (hypothetically) we, as a club, have been promoting caving and have persuaded them to give it a go) - are they insured (and is the club insured) for the their first trip given that they are not members of the club and have made no commitment to join the club at that time ?

Sorry to be a nuisance  :(

Ian

cap n chris

Sounds to me like they don't need insurance* at all, similar to people going caving with outdoor pursuits operators.

* Unless they're visiting a cave which stipulates insurance as an access prerequisite.

LarryFatcat

Its more than a bit sad that a discussion about promoting caving has come down to insurance.

My understanding of the policy and the law is:

The policy is third party only.

Novices by tradition are considered to be 'caving morons', so the cavers on the trip are responsible for novice behaviour.

If a novice took out the BCA policy, the only thing it would cover them against would be legal costs in a 100% futile claim.

Roger W

So if Ian (acting on behalf of his club) takes half a dozen hopeful youngsters into, say, Odin's Cave, and one of 'em slips in the mud and pushes another one so that he bangs his nose on a rock...

And the second lad decides to claim for compensation for his dented hooter...

Where would any of them stand with regard to being covered..?

(And I don't mean in mud!)

LarryFatcat

Roger W said:
So if Ian (acting on behalf of his club) takes half a dozen hopeful youngsters into, say, Odin's Cave, and one of 'em slips in the mud and pushes another one so that he bangs his nose on a rock...

And the second lad decides to claim for compensation for his dented hooter...

Where would any of them stand with regard to being covered..?

(And I don't mean in mud!)

AAAAAAAARRRGHHH

Nobody is covered for slips, it has to be pretty deliberate negligence.  Accidents are accidents.  Especially caving ones.

Roger W

So laddo 2's dad goes and sees one of these "have you had an accident..?" lawyers...

Laddo 2 says " I was OK until he pushed me..."

Laddo 1 points and says "He took us into the cave..."

The lawyer says...?

LarryFatcat

Roger W said:
So laddo 2's dad goes and sees one of these "have you had an accident..?" lawyers...

Laddo 2 says " I was OK until he pushed me..."

Laddo 1 points and says "He took us into the cave..."

The lawyer says...?

It sounds like a criminal assault by L1 on L2.
He who took them in to the cave is covered by BCA insurance but there would be no, no, no case. Repeat no case.

Roger W

That's OK then...  :)

When I came to ukcaving this morning, there was a Google ad at the bottom of the page saying "Ask a lawyer online..."

Here's a quote from "Youclaim.co.uk" regarding the risks arising from heading a football:

"Fortunately, the days of heavy leather balls, that used to become even heavier in wet conditions, are long gone. They truly were a brain injury risk of the kind that would be of interest to a no win, no fee lawyer. For example, Jeff Astle, the former England and West Bromwich Albion striker, died from an untimely "industrial disease" at 56 after years of heading a ball "like a bag of bricks" took their toll."

(emphasis mine)

graham

Roger W said:
of the kind that would be of interest to a no win, no fee lawyer.

(emphasis mine)

Something of a double edged sword, as one the one hand, such schemes mean that people with genuine cases who couldn't otherwise afford to access the law get a fair crack of the whip, but on the other it does encourage some folks to push really stupid claims. Now, the latter wouldn't matter (no win, no fee) except for the fact that 'way too many insurance companies will pay rather than fight.

The real problem is with the weak insurance bods, as anyone who gets a "knock for knock" on their car policy will know, not with the legal profession.

Roger W

Maybe.  But who was our online lawyer thinking of suing in the footballing case?  The FA for being in charge of the game and allowing heading the ball in their rules?  The team manager or coach for allowing or even insructing the players to head the ball?  The football manufacturers for manufacturing and putting on the market a dangerous - nay, lethal - product?  The cows for providing the leather that got soggy and heavy in wet conditions?