Liverpool tunnels

Pitlamp

Thanks - I spotted that too. That report's quite short though and there's already a fair bit of info available, such as YouTube videos.

Being in the show cave industry myself I've met several of the folk who run those tunnels. They're all grand characters. From what I've heard from them and seen on the interweb thing I reckon it's probably well worth any caver who happens to be in Liverpool going for a look.

dmcfarlane

In the mid 1970's, The Liverpool University Potholing Club was active in trying to break into these tunnels.  Although we got into a few pieces, we never got involved in digging out the fly-tipped rubble, in part because it was such an effort to arrange access to the sites on council property. A good many years later, "our" site at the old council stables was opened up and is now the Williamsons' Tunnels visitors center: http://www.williamsontunnels.co.uk/

DM

JJ

Lots of ex Liverpool cavers have previously had a go at opening up these tunnels. The earliest that I know about was Jimmy Rattary etc. I still have lots of information that I gleamed from the Liverpool Records Office when I was looking for access and dig sites in the late 70's early 80's. All this info was passed on a few years ago to those that are now running the site.  Like Don we did not have much success at the time, but it was fun!