Help identifying a bolt for Jugholes gate

Pete K

On a visit to Jugholes today I tried to find a replacement bolt to fit the adit grill. Unfortunately all the spares I took with me were not compatible. Plan B was to photo the existing bolt and try to identify some likely contenders.
So, metalwork geeks of the caving world, can you help?

Jugholes Bolt by Peak Instruction, on Flickr

Pete Knight
DCA Projects Officer
projects@thedca.org.uk

Madness

Could be a 3/4 BSW, but it is well worn.

What does the nut measure across the flats?

Metric bolts across flats measurements are:-

M8 - 13mm
M10 - 17mm
M12 - 19mm
M16 - 24mm
M20 - 30mm

Pete K

The nut is welded inside the door frame and it will be a complete rebuild to replace. I'd hoped to place a new modern thread setup but it will be serious work. The nut on the bolt already was not measured but I suspect a 30mm.
So M10 or 3/4 BSW to start with.
Thanks.

No idea about the gate Ewan, I would have thought that avenue was explored already when this problem cropped up last year. Perhaps not.

JRL

Pete,

Go to an engineers merchant's or an engineering firm. The will have thread gauges and verniers to identify the thread pitch & size. This process takes seconds, once you've identified the thread yo can hopefully re thread the captive thread with a tap (not the ones which water runs from ) and fit a new bolt.
If I was 'down south' I'd identify it for you but I'm afraid I'm in the north.

JRL

Pete K

Thanks JRL.
The captive thread looks good still. Guess I'll need to go back with a hacksaw to get the bolt off the chain. I'll Google an engineers locally.

Pete K

Thank you Shotlighter!
Either post it up here or drop me a message to projects@thedca.org.uk
I'm aiming to get at least one job done in my first week! Good job on the gate and surround by the way, it's still solid.

martinm

post it up here or in a PM for the moment. I haven't had time to update the officers emails yet as I've been sorting out and acquiring a 'new old' cheap 2nd hand car! Will update them in the next few days...

Regards, Mel.

Pete K

No worries Mel, as I got the spreadsheet I figured we were all set up. Newby mistake!

al

If it helps, I'll be seeing Shotlighter tomorrow night at the Crewe meeting. If Nigel can find a duplicate bolt, I can drop it through Pete's letter box on my way home to Hayfield.

shotlighter

al said:
If it helps, I'll be seeing Shotlighter tomorrow night at the Crewe meeting. If Nigel can find a duplicate bolt, I can drop it through Pete's letter box on my way home to Hayfield.
That one was specially made to be "chain captive" unfortunately but I have a piece of 16mm I can give Al so the size can be checked.
Alternatively I'll pop across next week end & have a look before making a new one?

Pete K

Completely up to you Shotlighter. If you are happy to pop over with a new one I'd be very grateful but I'm happy to do the legwork if you want to pass something to Alan.
As for captive fitting, I had only thought of slipping new bolt on chain and then super tightening a nut onto it as a clamp. I doubted anyone would nick it as if they had a spanner they could get in anyway. If you are prepared and equipped to do a direct replacement then that would be great.

nickwilliams

That's definitely not a Whitworth thread.

Plenty of different sized nuts and bolts to play with here in Hucklow if you need them.

Nick.

martinm

Great to see everyone on this thread working together, as is usual for the Peak, tbh. Great to c u r now project officer Pete. I'd heard Dan was gonna step down months ago, so this is good news.

Keep up the good work all of you, we all appreciate it.  (y)

I have a few easy bolting jobs that need doing in the Manifold in the summer, (just to conform to with the BCA bolting program),  just wish I could have got to the meeting, but will bring them up at the next UCF meeting in June. Oh, and it seems Bob doesn't use his mobile any more so how are we supposed to contact him about bolting issues?

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer / Webmeister.

shotlighter

Pete K said:
Completely up to you Shotlighter. If you are happy to pop over with a new one I'd be very grateful but I'm happy to do the legwork if you want to pass something to Alan.
As for captive fitting, I had only thought of slipping new bolt on chain and then super tightening a nut onto it as a clamp. I doubted anyone would nick it as if they had a spanner they could get in anyway. If you are prepared and equipped to do a direct replacement then that would be great.
I'll pop Al a piece of 16mm so you can confirm the size please, if you're local.
It'll probably be a 16mm stud anchor like the one I made the original from.
If you just want to then find a suitable bolt & a couple of nuts to make a captive arrangement that's fine by me.
Otherwise give us the nod & I'll make one.
Cheers
Nigel
edit, just hope the welder still works - that gate may be the last time I used it!!