Who was Aveline?

Ellie

Does anyone know the origin of the name Aveline's Hole?  I know it was re-discovered in 1797 by two lads chasing a rabbit, but I am curious as to when the cave was named Aveline's Hole and why.
Has anyone any more info?
Cheers.

A

andymorgan

There is a good book called 'Who Was Aveline Anyway?' that says how this cave and how other caves and passages in Mendip got their name. If I recall correctly it was a named after a school teacher, but someone on here will know the details for sure.

graham

Running out of time today ...

In brief the cave was named by Boyd Dawkins after one of his teachers, the geologist William Talbot Aveline. Distinguished guy, 1895 winner of the Murchison Medal of the Geological Society of London. Although he had no offspring relatives of his still live in Somerset and are interested in what has been found in the cave.

And according to the family it is pronounced Ayevaline and not Ahvaline as most cavers think.

kay

graham said:
And according to the family it is pronounced Ayevaline and not Ahvaline as most cavers think.

Is that Aye as in Gaye or Aye as in Aye?

pete h

The book WHO WAS AVELINE ANYWAY by Rich Witcombe is being updated. Any one who has discovered and named any thing on Mendip could they please describe it and why. I am not sure if Rich is on the forum but PM me and i will pass it on.
Thanks

Pete H.