Caver's Nick Names

yrammy

So many cavers seem to have nick names - an I dont mean forum names only names they actually go by. My hubby's real name was John but I only knew him as Bosh. Then in Derbyshire again there was Buster.  Some seem to be caving related too. Know any good ones? 

yrammy

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Bograt - don't know if the nickname could be called a 'good' one, however I know he's still looking at the forum - hello Bograt!  :)

Not to mention the Bolton Speleo Club....Big Nose for example....

bograt

Still here Pegasus, I also recall Wabbit, Dreg, J.Rat, Tunnel Tiger, and of course Teapot.

The first time my name arose was at college in the early '70s, it then dropped off for a while and I was known as T.Dan, Bograt then re-emerged from a totally different source in the later '70's so I figured it wasn't worth fighting.

Boy Engineer

I?ve been the Boy Engineer since 1976. With minor changes (a ?Failed? was appended following an unsuccessful spell at Camborne School of Mines), the nickname remains in use. With my recent change in employment status, perhaps it should be updated to Boy Engineer (Retired).

andys

Pegasus said:
.... Not to mention the Bolton Speleo Club....Big Nose for example....

Yeh - what happened to Big Nose? I'd love to get back in touch....

My old club WMCEG had tons of good ones ...

Clint, Compo, Bucket, Cabbage, Pixie, Shenstone Kid, Captain Pugwash, Shylock, Nancy, Grunt, Runt, Nasty, Toffee Apple, Cisco, Piggy, God, Honky, Sid, Kylie, Petal, Pope, Sissy, Colon

I still don't know the real names of half of them ... ;)

SamT

My favourite is not really caving  related. There was a lad at school called Brad. A few years older than me.  Everyone called him Brad. Years later I was working in a bar he frequented, and he was still called Brad. However, one day someone referred to him as Anthony or some such,  causing a bit of confusion. Anyhow, it transpires that he moved to our school from Bradford the week after the tragic stadium fire and kids being as cruel as they can be, had instantly associated him having started the fire, and hence the sudden move of address.  His nickname became Brad which has extended into his adult life. 
He was a laconic kind of guy so I can see how he probably just rolled with it.

Laurie

Our club went through a spate of Tonys and currently has a surfeit of Daves.
Nicknames help us know who's who.

Maj

When I started caving after being introduced to the MNRC I was still living in S.London.  I had no car at the time although occasionally borrowed my mother's car. Someone suggested that a fellow member lived not far from me and it was worth giving him a call to see if he wanted to share transport. The name given was Angus and a telephone number, I don't think I'd met the chap at that stage, so rang the number to introduce myself. A young lady answered the phone,  and the conversation went something like:-

Y.L - Hello.
Me - Is Angus there?
Y.L puzzled reply - Erm! I think  :confused: you've got the wrong number??
Me - Ah! Hang on a minute, you may not be know him as Angus.
Y.L - Do you mean Dave?
Me - Erm! Er! Probably  :unsure: .
Y.L - He's not here at the moment, you could try again later.

I don't think I managed to connect with him for a lift to Mendip at that time.

A few other caving colleague's nick names:-
Mushroom, Womble or STW, Spike, Technical, Mud, Tav, Gonzo, Peoples, Droid, Barkerette, TL, Tuffty, Nik Nak, Hamish, Dangerous Dave, Pikey & Denzil oh wait - that's his real name - story number .....

Maj.

blackshiver

MSG had two divers in the early days. George and Sprack. After calling Sprack "Sprack" for ages I was walking up to Meregill with him and we stopped at a stile.
"Sprack, whats your real name? says I.
"Paul Atkinson" says Sprack.
If you dont mind me asking - how did you come to be called Sprack? I retorted.
"It started at school and it stuck" says Sprack.
Well........what does it mean? I questioned.
"F*** knows - I never found out" Sprack answers.

This was about 35 years ago and if Sprack reads this it would be nice to hear from him.

Laurie

Maj said:
A few other caving colleague's nick names:-
Mushroom, Womble or STW, Spike, Technical, Mud, Tav, Gonzo, Peoples, Droid, Barkerette, TL, Tuffty, Nik Nak, Hamish, Dangerous Dave, Pikey & Denzil oh wait - that's his real name - story number .....

Maj.
You forgot Rasputin and the Shovel Monster!