Accidentally locked underground

Peter Burgess

Anyone ever been accidentally locked inside a cave?

Just curious, because I nearly locked myself underground last year. I was changing the padlocks during a trip, and was about to snap shut the new lock on the gate when I realised the key was still in the car. It was a very close call.

Had I done it I would have died of embarrassment, waiting several hours till the call out time, knowing that nobody would ever let me forget it. As it was, no harm was done and I had the presence of mind to think at the last minute "have I got the key?"  :-[

francis

Peter Burgess said:
Anyone ever been accidentally locked inside a cave?

Just curious, because I nearly locked myself underground last year. I was changing the padlocks during a trip, and was about to snap shut the new lock on the gate when I realised the key was still in the car. It was a very close call.

Had I done it I would have died of embarrassment, waiting several hours till the call out time, knowing that nobody would ever let me forget it. As it was, no harm was done and I had the presence of mind to think at the last minute "have I got the key?"  :-[

I spose doing such a thing is comparable with being rescued after abseiling into the Pit in Swinsto ;)

Francis ;)

AndyF

I have been accidently locked in a pub after caving.

Actually I'm lying, it was deliberate...... :beer:

D

darkplaces

Idiots could be locked in Box if people don't secure the lock currently!
I say idiots because who would go in after someone assuming the lock would be in the same unlocked state on the way out!

Locked myself out of my house.... Yes the cage door slammed shut!

H

hoehlenforscher

Almost stuck in the top of Tunnel cave! Has a lock that you can open from inside but took about 25 mins struggle to get it to do so. Not much fun hanging on a rope. :mad:

The maintenance manager locked me in Cox's Cave in Cheddar Gorge 21 years ago, for a short while I mean, I'm not still there; and has anyone forgotten it yet? Have they thump!

cap n chris

chriscastle46 said:
The maintenance manager locked me in Cox's Cave in Cheddar Gorge 21 years ago, for a short while I mean, I'm not still there; and has anyone forgotten it yet? Have they thump!

Hard to forget about it when you keep reminding us all the time!  ;)  (y)

T

Tree Monkey

Everyone on Mendip quotes that story Chris!!    Was it twice in the same cave, on the same day!! :tease: :LOL: :LOL: (y)

ditzy 24//7

never been trapped in a cave but i have been locked out of the house many times though a few of my friend who i am not naming ended up locked in the school sportshall the outher year.

:LOL:

Anyone ever been trapped in a cabinet?

"Captain Cabinet's trapped in cabinets, can he get out, will he get out, of course he will he's Captain Cabinet"

I'll get me coat.........

M

MSD

I was in a cave in France this summer that was locked/unlocked with a socket spanner. Immediately inside the gate was a tight rift opening directly onto a 40m pitch. We were instructed to lock the gate behind us as the local mayor was conerned that children could fall down the entrance (it was quite close to the road near a village). Snce I was last, this was my job. It was a major struggle to lock it form the inside, because the spanner could only be put in from the outside (it was a grill, not a solid door).

I then carefully placed the spanner somewhere safe, wriggled around....and heard a tinkling sound as something disappeared down the pitch. I was pretty relieved when I found out it was the person rigging who had just dropped a maillon....

Mark

T

The Badger

chriscastle46 said:
....I'm not still there.

That's reasuring Chris. I guess your posting would have read differently if you were - "help, I'm locked in Cox's Cave", perhaps. :clap:

graham

To give the opposite point of view:

We once went down a cave in "another country". As we approached the entrance, the man in front said "it's gated, but we won't have a problem". So we all squeeezed round the side of the gate & went off on a very pleasant trip. When we got back to the entrance, I was the last one out. The others were watching as I started to squeeze past & suddenly they all started laughing. Had I ripped teh crutch of my oversuit? No! They had noticed that the padlock wasn't actually locked!

We had not been behind a locked gate.

L

Lincolnshire poacher

Not been locked underground but got locked in after being underground.

Went somewhere sneaky, had a good look round.  Popped up to meet rest of the group at specified time.  Hmm group not there.....ah well lets walk out.  Got to fence round compound we were in to find gate locked.  Climbed over this one ok.  got to main gates...they were very locked and very high.  As i started to climb them very quietly, the site owner comes out of a building with a group of 30 locals..... :eek: :eek:.......locals looking confused and site security can be heard in the distance doing their best Ari Vaternan impression in a knackered VW.  Thank god the site owner wasn't too bothered about where we had been and what we were doing climbing his gates.

Elaine

I am sure that many of us have been locked in GB in the good old days when you had to lock yourself in and the lock was so full of mud and cack that it took a long time to open sometimes.

We had a close call when we went to Thrupe Lane Swallet once, nearly locked ourselves out of the car! I was just about to set off up Perseverance Pot when a tiny piece of something shiny on the floor caught my eye. It was Hughie's car key which he hadn't noticed he had dropped and trodden into the mud. That would have been fun as it was gone midnight and we wouldn't have had the first idea where to look for the key - having just been to the bottom of Atlas Pot!

Peter Burgess

cap 'n chris said:
chriscastle46 said:

Can't help feeling I've heard of something similar happening quite recently....... :coffee:

D

Dep

Peter Burgess said:
cap 'n chris said:
chriscastle46 said:

Can't help feeling I've heard of something similar happening quite recently....... :coffee:

Can't think where that would have been!  :-[
I gather you've spoken to S then?

I also recall someone snap-shut locking a ladder with no key and having to saw the ring-bolt off?

Peter Burgess

Dep said:
Peter Burgess said:
cap 'n chris said:
chriscastle46 said:

Can't think where that would have been!  :-[
I gather you've spoken to S then?

I also recall someone snap-shut locking a ladder with no key and having to saw the ring-bolt off?

Like this you mean?

bedlams_eye_bolt_pb.jpg

:-[ ;)