Bakers Pit Survey

me

You don't really need a survey, it is a fun cave to explore.  the main thing is to make sure you stay the correct side of the tape.

have fun  ;)

reforma

Thanks ive been in there a few times. so ive had an explore would still like to find a survey if i can though.

alasdair neill

The survey was always available from Devon Speleological Society. This did not include the Plymouth Extension, which was surveyed in part about 20 years ago & the results passed to the Pengelly, best to contact them. I believe DSS members have been recently trying to get that completed, but I have not heard recently how thats getting on.

mrodoc

I have the old John Hooper survey. Rather like the failure to pass the boulder choke in Pollnagollum Poularkan I think it could be a considered a slur on Devon caving that after 42 years there is still no published survey of the kilometre of passage that is the Plymouth extension.

reforma

Hey.
well a few members of Euss have developed a little love affair with bakers and will probably be going a fair few more times to bakers next term. i think we might undertake a re-tape where the tape has been lost or broken, none of us have any experience surveying but im sure a few willing volunteers would be happy to be assistants to a survey of the Plym extensions.

reforma

Hi
Planing a trip into the Glorious Devon series this weekend, never been in before, i have been given directions to the entrance. just was hoping that someone would be able to tell me of anything worth seeing or worth watching out for in the series. Much apreciated

Coxie

Cracking bit of cave that... Red chamber's quite nice and from there there's a little round trip.  At the lowest point of the chamber is the Helter Skelter; down a corkscrew of boulders through a nice crawl with a pendant ceiling and into a bouldery choke which if you follow up slope eventually heads back into Red chamber on the right. 

You can crawl through boulders at the upper end of Red chamber which gets into the upper chamber although I seem to remember it being a little loose in places.  :eek: a link from here on the left goes down to the little chamber which links mountaineers folly / Scuicide hole and the squeeze to the top of the Dutch oven.
Once in the steeply sloped upper chamber there's a cracking squeeze in the very top, I think it's called the Nutmeg grater.  It's pretty tight and steep and at first glance looks impossible but it gets you up into Whitsuns chamber which I think is the closest chamber to the Graveyard...  I heard a yarn a while ago about some bodies falling through into Whitsuns chamber but I've never found any remains.  :-\
At the very right side and high up the slope is a small rift which is accessed by climbing over an awkward boulder.  In the floor of the rift is an entertaining little phreatic tube which pops out in the ceiling back out near the bottom of the chamber.

I'm sure there's loads more to explore but I don't remember much in the way of formations, it is a fun trip tho'.

mrodoc

Rumour has it that, after a 40 year delay, the survey of the Plymouth extension may soon be published!

Les W

How close are the PCG extentions to Glorious Devon series. Is a connection a possibility?

Les W

graham said:
Les W said:
graham said:
Les W said:
How close are the PCG extentions to Glorious Devon series. Is a connection a possibility?

Can't be far away, surely.
That's my thoughts too, but without an accurate survey...  :-\

Haven't you been on one of Andrew's Therion courses yet?  :sneaky:

It wouldn't help, I'd still need to get back into the PCG extensions.  :eek:
A capping course might be a better idea...  :-\

alasdair neill

When a survey was produced of Plymouth Extension in the 1980's, I made a complete sheet of including all known surveys of all the the Bakers/Reeds area, with surface mapping also. This was given to the Pengelly who never returned it! I think the idea was to publish this, but when the Pengelly approached John Hooper (who was probably responsible for 50% of the survey at least) he apparently wouldn't allow his stuff to be used.
I think there was a considerable gap between GDS & PE, with no obvious leads for any sort of connection.
It would need a few caps or major bone reconstruction for me to get into PE nowadays, so perhaps it's best to leave it those who can (obviously a topic for discussion). Heard rumours that the DSS members who have been carrying on from where we left off with the Plymouth Extension survey have been getting close to completion, but only rumours.

D.Send

The Plymouth extension was entered nov 5 1967, but not explored then because of a foot and mouth outbreak.
Months later, the series was extensively explored and a detailed sketch survey made. The accurate survey was not undertaken ,because of a serious PCG car accident with major injuries in may 68, and the discoverers dispersed thereafter. The sketch survey was copied to the PCG and DSS recorders.
If a full survey has been made since, I personally would like to know where it can be obtained.

Cartwright26

whats your email i have surveys of the cave i can get you. depending on when your thinking of going i may even join you