Facebook community for cavers!

dunc

I thought this forum was a way to get the caving community together?

Just had a quick nosey and to pick up on one point, there was (still is) a group called UK Cavers (Andyj23UK has beat me to that comment), which I joined and left a while back due to the fact I never used it, so not the 'only' group. Having members is one thing, content is another, will it be different to the aforementioned group?

The Old Ruminator

Well I will wish it all the best but we shall see.  Actually there is already a Mendip Digger's Facebook site so its not the first as stated. I am not sure how these Facebook sites affect forums. There is both a bottle collectors forum ( two actually ) and a Facebook site. The latter remains moribund and marginal. Personally I prefer log in type forums as things are more controllable and Facebook is getting itself into problems re privacy and photo sharing. I get pissed off with Photobucket who sometimes feature my photos on my friends accounts. I guess there is a setting to control that somewhere. The people who seem to get attracted to Facebook sites look to be fairly marginal and often foreign.

graham

Given that you need to log in to FacePalm to even see the page, I doubt I'll ever see it. Ho hum.

Eejays

Well this group was actually created Sept 2011 by a caving friend from Wales.

Which I do believe is before the other 'UK Cavers' group therefore the time the description was written I do believe it was the only UK cavers group!

:)

Eejays

And seen as the said 'UK Cavers' page doesn't actually accept a few cavers into it I prefer a group that is non-biased and accepts all walks of life..

graham

Eejays said:
And seen as the said 'UK Cavers' page doesn't actually accept a few cavers into it I prefer a group that is non-biased and accepts all walks of life..

And flogs their personal information to all sorts of worthy types.

Eejays

And flogs their personal information to all sorts of worthy types.
[/quote]

Isn't that what Facebook is for? Haha.. Jokes

It's just a page for cavers to come together that's all, no hate guys  (y)

graham

Eejays said:
Isn't that what Facebook is for? Haha.. Jokes

That's exactly what it is for, how else does Zuckerberg earn his millions? That's why, like the Old Ruminator, I'll stick with a forum like this one & not a site that digs ever deeper into my personal life.

Eejays

I don't blame ya Graham!

Although it's up to the individual how much of their personal life they share, some people definitely share too much!

It can be a good way to keep intouch if used properly  :LOL:

al

I joined Facebook once (to look at somebody's cave pictures) and suddenly I get all these emails  :eek:
People wanting to be my friend. :mad:
Sod that  :yucky:

Eejays

Sod that because you don't want friends or because you don't like the e-mails?  :LOL:

It is a good way to share photos but yes can also be darn right annoying!

The Old Ruminator

I dont remember how long the Mendip Digging Projects has been going for. Its a site reserved for nominated cavers only and currently has 92 members.

Secret group for like minded individuals on Mendip to share the hi's and Low's of digging on Mendip without boring the rest of the online community.
Please link to anyone who maybe interested.
All digs will be treated confidentially.
Theres lots of digs on Mendip at the moment. If you wish to share news of your progress, hopes, aspirations no matter how large or small, then here's a good place to start.

* Stuff posted here is for general interest to diggers
* Stuff posted here should not be posted elsewhere without consulting relevant digging team(s) beforehand
* Digging teams should be given first dibs on publicising their discoveries
I guess that sums up the aims, rules, whatever.

It seems to tick over quite well and nobody moans about my photos. Of course other Mendip diggers and photographers have their own websites as well.

Facebook tends to be rather a controversial topic but I guess it can be used sensibly. What the future holds is anybody's guess.

bubba

Administrator
The Old Ruminator said:
What the future holds is anybody's guess.

That's the problem.  I wouldn't put any content on Facebook unless you're happy about it becoming public, being disclosed/sold to 3rd parties or you losing your rights to it.  Sure, it *might* not happen but given FB's history it most likely will...

When such a service is free, you and your data become the product.

Elaine

If facebook digs into my personal life etc, I want to know why today I had an advert at the side of the page for people who have problems bedwetting! Why, what, who, where?

Blakethwaite

Somebody sent me a link to the UK Cavers group on facebook once.

It seemed to consist of little more than long conversations with people suggesting that you shouldn't do SRT if you ain't got certificates and how everybody should use every bolt detailed in rigging guides seemingly regardless of experience, ability or conditions on the day.

By the time I'd finished reading it I was so full of the spirit of adventure I was writing letters to the Daily Mail complaining about the length of newsreaders hair....

Eejays

Blakethwaite said:
Somebody sent me a link to the UK Cavers group on facebook once.

It seemed to consist of little more than long conversations with people suggesting that you shouldn't do SRT if you ain't got certificates and how everybody should use every bolt detailed in rigging guides seemingly regardless of experience, ability or conditions on the day.

By the time I'd finished reading it I was so full of the spirit of adventure I was writing letters to the Daily Mail complaining about the length of newsreaders hair....

hahaha  (y)  :clap:  :beer:

droid

Don't get too cocky, eejays.

Your speleological 'federation' isn't that much more inspiring...couple of people talking to themselves :LOL:

Eejays

It ain't mine and I don't really care if it's good or not, it's just a bit of fun  :)

That's what life's all about!

And if I make a new caver friend or two via it (which I already have) I'm more than happy so  ;)

Life's too short  :LOL: