Milwr Tunnel:- Current state of play?

Down here, we are utterly disengaged with caving club nonsense, access politics and general whining.

Can someone explain in a clear manner what the present situation is with the following:-

1. Access to Milwr Tunnel.

2. The physical state of the shaft head, access tunnel, ladders and general mine.

3. If we were to come up and have a go at it, do we need any of the following:-

i). Gas axe
ii). Digging Team
iii). Angle Grinder.
iv). Lock picks
v). Bang. 

Thanks.

DFC. (CBC).

Nigelh

Re-trolling does not improve your mark.

0/10.

You won't be getting into Millwr just yet. The land owner doesn't want you there. Grovesnor don't want you there. The fact that you post on here with a view to gas axing, picking locks, banging, etc. shows a really dumb approach to trying to gain access.

Have you written to the GCC? Access to Millwr is still being negotiated. Yes, it is taking a long time, a very long time. Don't jeopardise what is going on without your knowledge by being a bunch of urbex heroes.

Millwr is an amazing place. Don't spoil it. Wait until you can get on an invited trip.

Ship-badger

I suspect Nigel that there was a degree of humour in the OPs remarks. Only suspect mind. I doubt access will be restored any time soon, maybe never.

Is the entrance shaft backfilled still, or is it merely "gated". I would always go through the correct channels to get in somewhere.

Realistically, this is academic as we'll probably never get around to coming up. Well not until it has been dug/filled/laddered/unladdered/permission sought/lost/etc

Les W

I believe Olwyn Goch is gated, however the owners, United Utilities have stated that no access to the Tunnel is permitted through any of their entrances.

You have PM

My reply was slightly tongue in cheek, because it appears that North Wales suffers from the very worst of Caving Club empire nonsense.

I am a very big fan of visiting places and no-one being any wiser that a visit has happened. As a member of several clubs, I have been on trips where we've been "shown around" by chaperones. Only to get the impression we were not being shown everything and a subsequent visit proving the very best of it had been left out. Presumably reserved for special members.

I take a very dim view of self-nominated gatekeepers.

I am a very big fan of visiting places and no-one being any wiser that a visit has happened.

Isn't that exactly the opposite of what you want with regards to Milwr Tunnel tho'

You enjoy visiting places - keeping shtum, keeping the location quiet and access to a few in the know...
Yet complain that there isn't an easy way with information in the public domain about obtaining access to Milwr tunnel...

I was specifically curious about Olwyn Goch shaft, not any of the other ways in (I gather there are none).

This was the centre of all the willy waving from GCC and UU. I just wondered at what state the "sword fight" was at. 

Wayland Smith

Disgusted from Cornwall. said:
I was specifically curious about Olwyn Goch shaft, not any of the other ways in (I gather there are none).
This was the centre of all the willy waving from GCC and UU. I just wondered at what state the "sword fight" was at.

The only "Willy waving" that I see is coming from Cornwall!
The mineral rights owner wants it closed, and the land owner wants it closed.
So it is closed.
As you state that "you know" there are no other ways in best to let the subject drop until the situation becomes clear.
Fairly certain that with your attitude and comments no one is going to show you anything else on the mountain
(sorry, they don't exist do they?  :-\ )

Best wishes to the people working quietly to re-gain access via Olwen Goch.

Dave Tyson

There are at least three ways in to the Milwr other than via Olwyn Goch. As others have mentioned access via Olwyn Goch is not permitted and the ladderway is probably unsafe due to lack of maintenance.

Dave

ChrisJC

Dave Tyson said:

There are at least three ways in to the Milwr other than via Olwyn Goch. As others have mentioned access via Olwyn Goch is not permitted and the ladderway is probably unsafe due to lack of maintenance.

Dave

But he knew that. Or not.

Chris.

Carter

If you'd like a trip, contact me by P.M. or our access officer on our Web link.
You'll need BCA insurance and we'll need a few details from you  beforehand and then we can sort a date out.
cheers
Nick.
Grosvenor caving club.

cavemanmike

Carter said:
If you'd like a trip, contact me by P.M. or our access officer on our Web link.
You'll need BCA insurance and we'll need a few details from you  beforehand and then we can sort a date out.
cheers
Nick.
Grosvenor caving club.

what part of the mine does a gcc trip involve.
and what are the " other details"

cavemanmike

Peter Burgess said:
Why don't you PM Nick and find out, if you want a trip, like he asks. If you don't want a trip, then why ask anyway?  :confused:

i don't need a gcc trip into the milwr
and i was just asking him to clarify his comment that's all  o_O o_O

Peter Burgess

Sorry I don't understand why, if you don't need a trip, you need any clarification at all. Because if you do need a trip, all you have to do is ask by PM.  I visited the site a while back, and I don't recall being asked for anything you wouldn't expect to be asked!

We now know that in order to facilitate a visit, you contact Nick who will make the arrangements with you one to one. Sounds like a good service to me. Thanks Nick.