Author Topic: Posting Photographs  (Read 7212 times)

Offline chunky

• obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
Re: Posting Photographs
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 11:00:43 pm »
if you hit the share button on flickr and copy and paste the BBcode: directly on to the page this is what you get:

Don't use the insert image button, just paste the txt you have copied from Flickr.

_DSC9818 by Mark Burkey, on Flickr

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 11:39:59 pm »
Chunky, but that's the wrong size and it doesn't look like your photos usually look. How do you normally post photos?

Mark, this is the code that I get when I click on the photo and then on 'share' https://flic.kr/p/XTkTe2

and below is what happens when I put that in the 'insert image' tags

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:29 pm »
When you click on share you get the options of share (which gives you a web address, as you listed), embed (in a document) or BBCode (which is what Chunky suggested - his latest photos are hosted on facebook):

Tatty bits by vaccaryman, on Flickr

Mike

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:39 am »
But neither of those methods displays the photos correctly as they used to be displayed when I used Photobucket. By 'correctly' I mean that you could choose the size that they were displayed at and if the viewer clicked on them they went correctly to full screen. If you click on the photos of Aquamole that Chunky posted they go much too big for the screen and all you can see is a corner of the image. If you click on the image that you posted it takes you to flickr in a new window. If we are stuck with that then we are stuck with it and will have to get used to it I suppose.

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 09:08:10 am »
Here's another go using 'postimage'  http://postimages.org/

I think it might be better. If you click on the image it takes you to the postimage website which has adverts. There are pros and cons of every way of photo hosting.

This photo is the new anchors on the third pitch of Tatham Wife Hole.

The photo seemed to disappear after a few minutes. Hmm?

Now it's back again. Weird.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:20:55 am by Simon Wilson »

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2017, 09:22:40 am »
Unfortunately I think the problems are down to a combination of Flickr trying to ensure any photos hosted by them link back to the Flickr page, and also trying to pretend that users can stop people from downloading their images.

The BBcode option (as those above have just mentioned) gives you the code below, resulting in the image mikem posted above.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/XTkTe2][img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4493/36680642983_7c2a15a158_z.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/XTkTe2]Tatty bits[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152306484@N06/]vaccaryman[/url], on Flickr

If you delete everything outside of the img tags then you can get rid of all the links:

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4493/36680642983_7c2a15a158_z.jpg[/img]

You can add "width = xx" inside the image tags as shown below to resize the image:

[img width=300]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4493/36680642983_7c2a15a158_z.jpg[/img]

If resized (as in the bottom case) clicking on it should enlarge it to its full size.

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2017, 09:37:27 am »
Thanks Mark.

Here's another go with flickr.

Now I feel confident.

Offline chunky

• obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2017, 09:41:15 am »
Chunky, but that's the wrong size and it doesn't look like your photos usually look. How do you normally post photos?

Mark, this is the code that I get when I click on the photo and then on 'share' https://flic.kr/p/XTkTe2

and below is what happens when I put that in the 'insert image' tags

Hi Simon,

Marks beat me to it. I was trying to give you the easiest way of posting with size picked when you copy the share url (I picked the smallest as an example)

Simon, Marks has described above exactly the process I use to normally display my images from Flickr. Unfortunately it does involve the faff of deleting the rest of the code and adding the width command to the img tag.

@Marks, nice clear tutorial for that option.

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 09:53:20 am »
It appears to me that the two best hosting services are flickr and postimage. If we can be sure about the best ways of posting photos then maybe someone could write a clear and concise explanation of how to do it and put it where it can easily be found. This thread is not the best place because you have to search for it and then read through it all.

We might get more people posting photos if it was easier to find out how to do it.

Offline Topimo

• menacing presence
  • School of Karst Rocks. University of NiFe.
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:43 pm »
May I ask what the limitations are with the forum's built-in 'Attachments' tool?

This is what I've used for anything I've uploaded (photos, diagrams).

Obviously it doesn't link to an external account - important if you have a vast library you want people to find and browse.
Secondly the file size is limited, so I've had to resize the photos before uploading.
Less control over display size in the post.

However it keeps the photos on the UKC servers, meaning no photobucket-esque scandals down the road...

This obviously doesn't work for many people, but I'd say it is sufficient for many others.
Perhaps it should be called "Photos and attachments", instead of "Attachments and other options".
As this would reflect its most common usage.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:07 pm »
If you pay a few quid for a hosting package, you can put as many photos up as your heart desires, at the right size, the right way round, and placed where you want them. And saving Jane and Tim money on server space, if attachments are the preferred 'local' option. I try and use attachments if it's something I think should be on a shared 'public' server, otherwise they stay on mine. Free services will always incur some pain, as they're free. You pay to remove the hassle and 'take back control', to use a popular phrase.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2017, 07:04:13 pm »
Topimo -see this

To explain lager photo above, a note from Q I received recently:

'I have increased the photo upload size to 1Mb and allowed 10 images per post. I’ve also increased the thumbnail size to 600px so they look much la(r)ger :) '

The photo situation on the forum may not be perfect, however hopefully this has helped, cheers, Pegasus  ;D

No problem with hosting on our server so far  :thumbsup:

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »
Both Postimage and Flickr leave you with that nagging feeling that one day they will blackmail you with a huge fee ( like Photobucket ) or be bought out and subsequently fold up.
You can appreciate my feeling that at the end of next year my 20,000 hosted Photobucket images will disappear from forums as I wont be blackmailed into paying a huge yearly fee. That is the nature of the internet unfortunately . I have stated that I don't like posted links nor do I like low res attachments. Currently Postimage is so simple to use and size your images. ( I have just added a load to my collectors forum. ) I cannot see me using any other medium for the moment. There is no need for a Postimage tutorial as it is self explanatory. ( Do remember to size the image otherwise it might go off some old member's monitor and drive him to distraction. I use the 15 in monitor size for this forum ).

Offline Topimo

• menacing presence
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2017, 10:11:01 pm »
Topimo -see this

To explain lager photo above, a note from Q I received recently:

'I have increased the photo upload size to 1Mb and allowed 10 images per post. I’ve also increased the thumbnail size to 600px so they look much la(r)ger :) '

The photo situation on the forum may not be perfect, however hopefully this has helped, cheers, Pegasus  ;D

No problem with hosting on our server so far  :thumbsup:

Yes I saw that around the time I stuck those last pics up, it's definitely a change for the better!

I do really like not having to use another service in conjunction with UKC just to share a couple of photos now and then!
Definitely better to centralise stuff to help preserve it.

Does the wiki see much love?

• forum hero
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2017, 09:36:13 am »
Just looking at the attachment route. 636kb image.

• forum hero
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2017, 09:37:36 am »
I think I might go this way in future though I don't know how easy it would be for multiple images.

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 10:23:47 am »
Yes, I would certainly say attachments are preferable, especially if you have any desire for anyone to be able to go back and look at them.

Many old topics which had pictures now either have nothing or a photobucket logo in their place. :(

Offline Frog2

• regular
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:58 am »
One subtle difference is that photo's added as 'attachments' are only visible if logged in whereas those that are linked seem to be visible to all.

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2017, 11:04:05 am »
Quite often I can be reading something and then realise I am missing something in the conversation. I scroll back and notice a tiny little paperclip indicating that there is an attachment. I mostly read UKcaving without being logged in. I wonder how many people read it without being logged in. I know people who often read UKcaving and aren't members at all so can't log in and can't see photos as attachments.

Offline JohnMCooper

• menacing presence
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2017, 11:24:19 am »
I wonder how many people read it without being logged in.

So that's why I haven't been seeing photos most of the time!

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2017, 11:26:09 am »
One subtle difference is that photo's added as 'attachments' are only visible if logged in whereas those that are linked seem to be visible to all.

Ah, I hadn't realised that - I'm always logged in when I read the forum. Perhaps that's something that can be modified? I can't see it being a problem for attachments to be public.

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 06:48:45 pm »

Ah, I hadn't realised that - I'm always logged in when I read the forum. Perhaps that's something that can be modified? I can't see it being a problem for attachments to be public.

The issue with making attachments public is that the UK Caving server would then be serving the image to any other site that links to a specific image. A number of small websites have been hit with big bills for excess traffic due to an image "going viral".
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Offline Topimo

• menacing presence
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 07:15:10 pm »

The issue with making attachments public is that the UK Caving server would then be serving the image to any other site that links to a specific image. A number of small websites have been hit with big bills for excess traffic due to an image "going viral".

That is a very good point, but the odds are (un)fortunately low for caving probably.
It only takes the right shot though, 'viral' is something that even the greatest marketing company will never truly be able to predict...

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2017, 03:21:04 pm »

I didn't think of that that - very good point. Maybe more people using attachments would just encourage people to log in to view the forum then!