Where Not To Dig

The Old Ruminator

How many cavers have little places like this ? -

I called it " Hidden Passage " because it is tucked away and I doubt anyone else has found it. It is running off a bigger chamber at high level. There are some nice curtains at the entrance and the above is a view carefully taken just beyond them . Its not a big passage and runs in for three metres to a loose choke rising up to the right away from the chamber. All the floor would need to come out in a dig and all the formations in the view would get trashed. The nice grotto at the entrance would also be at risk. Sometimes it is best to leave things as they are. Always other places to dig.

As ever. Any similiar photos. ( Which my cynical heart doubts ). :coffee:

Leclused

an other example :)

After a severe squeeze (see the caver struggeling in it) we arrived in a white chamber. An airflow is coming from a small blowhole on the left upper corner (not visible on the photo) above the white flowstone. Working on that blowhole would mean a complete destruction of this small chamber. So no works were started here. 

BTW, the caver is already in his undersuit and left his dirty boots and gloves somewhere where he could strip.

DIMG_0611_001.JPG

Kenilworth

One of many of our finds that needs photographing:
https://youtu.be/ZyidXRPi1S0
The hurried video was taken with a dying camera battery, immediately after discovery. We had not progressed beyond where my brother sits in the video. After we did, we found a breakdown choke with air at the end of the chamber shown. Certainly could be dug, but we won't do it since nice things would be trashed and further discovery would necessitate repeated travel through this very delicate room. I did not include this previously virgin room in my map or description.

cooleycr

Looks like a very nice cave and would easily get trashed as there doesn't appear to be any 'safe' way on that could avoid the 'pretties'.

BTW the next vid that came up was also from Groundquest Caving and featured a young lad called Rubin dropping a hole in the ground into another interesting chamber - not sure that I recognized any of his caving equipment  :-\

Kenilworth

Same young lad as the other video. That fine gear is pretty much our standard, and can be cheaply had at almost any second-hand store.