Nun Brook, near Buxton - anything there?

AR

While coming back into Buxton on the train today I had a good look at the upper reaches of Nun Brook and wondered whether this area has been investigated. The stream runs right along the shale/limestone boundary, whoever owns the land (Brookhouse Farm?) has recently been scouring out the streambed with a 360 digger. Given the similarity to Stanley Moor and Rushup Edge you'd expect at least some underground development to be present. CoPD doesn't mention anything, so is there anything lurking in old club journals that anyone's aware of?

AR

The more I look at it, the more I'm sure the stream is losing water as it flows towards Buxton.Here's a couple of rough snaps taken from the train today, there are outcropping veins on the crag that t'owd man has had a go at so what's happening where the stream crosses them? Someone must have had a look at this in the past....

Attachments

• 2017-10-16-1453.jpg
    2017-10-16-1453.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 2017-10-16-1455.jpg
    2017-10-16-1455.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 139

RobinGriffiths

One possible thing to bear in mind that the adjacent Eyam Limestone is more recent than the Bowland Shale, so any sinking scenario might be different to Stanley Moor, where the Bowland Shale and Bee Low Limestone are around the same age. Mind, the Bowland Shale is generally odd in spanning a long age and being contempraneous with several limestone horizons. At least if I've interpreted the BGS data correctly.

AR

Just to the north there's a cluster of caves in Doveholes including in the railway tunnel at depth; given that I'd say the potential is good, not that I've got the time to investigate at present. I was more interested to know if the area had been investigated before as I would have thought the Eldon or the Eccles would have taken a look in days past?

SamT

Well.. when I eventually get the eldon journals scanned in and up online.. you can have a peruse!