Does your caving hut allow dogs?

Rachel

As the title says...does your caving hut allow dogs?

The reason I'm asking is that although I love our furry friends as much as the next person, I'm asthmatic and find that sharing a room with a dog for even 15 mins puts me out of action for the weekend. That's not a problem at my own club hut as I turn up 10 mins before a trip and stay outside if there are dogs inside. I would like to plan a couple of weekends at other huts though and would be gutted to drive a fair distance and then not be fit to cave. So, where will I be ok and where should I avoid?

alastairgott

Rachael, TSG doesn't often have dogs in it. But we do have a pet mould that we keep in the members room. I trimmed the mould back the other year with some mould killer. So it's being pretty lame at the moment.

On a serious note, the rest of the hut is mould free and the last time I remember a dog staying was when ash did a p8 dive more than 12 months ago. Dogs visiting for the day are pretty infrequent and the concrete floors are good for hosing down. And the guest room got a fresh lick of paint about 4months ago.

In short, I think you'de be fine here.

topcat

Do you also have to avoid dog owners?  My wife is more dog than human, by which I mean she is covered in dog hair all the time. ( I'm beginning to regret typing this, it could be a very deep hole....)

Anyway, serious question...

Tc

Upper Pitts, Wessex CC HQ, allows dogs. They are NOT allowed in the kitchen nor the bunkrooms. Obviously they should be under control.

Rachel

topcat said:
Do you also have to avoid dog owners?  My wife is more dog than human, by which I mean she is covered in dog hair all the time. ( I'm beginning to regret typing this, it could be a very deep hole....)

Tc

That made me smile, especially given your username 🙂
Sadly yes, dog covered humans do cause a reaction if I'm fairly close, but they tend not to scratch/be petted as much as dogs, so no dander clouds to contend with. I'm sure that if your wife would agree to keep her distance, refrain from scratching and not sniff my leg, we'd get on very well.

Thanks to the other posters for the useful info too

Maj

Hi Rachel,

As Laurie says, we the MNRC do allow dogs at the MNRS and they are not allowed on the furniture, beyond the common room, kitchen or dormitories. We have very few members that bring their dogs down and the number of weekends when dog(s) are about can be counted on Pluto's paw. These weekends are then usually members weekends. We also have a couple of members that avoid the doggy weekends. I'm sure if you were thinking about visiting the MNRS, a weekend when our Hut is doggy free could easily be chosen, since our members that do bring dogs would've planned there visits in advance. It is highly unlikely that someone arrives on spec with a dog.

Maj.

mrodoc

topcat said:

Tc

With a moniker like yours that must be a serious problem. :LOL:

cooleycr

Hi Rachel,

Do you have the same issues with cat fur?

The reason I ask is that one of my cat's favourite pastimes is- launch himself off the bed, onto the wardrobe, and then snuggle down on my furry (appropriately named!) which lives up there when not in use...

This means that it is usually covered in fur and if you were to stay at the TSG club hut (The Chapel) it might be a problem for you?

alastairgott

cooleycr said:
Hi Rachel,

Do you have the same issues with cat fur?

The reason I ask is that one of my cat's favourite pastimes is- launch himself off the bed, onto the wardrobe, and then snuggle down on my furry (appropriately named!) which lives up there when not in use...

This means that it is usually covered in fur and if you were to stay at the TSG club hut (The Chapel) it might be a problem for you?

You're only in for a couple of minutes and then back out again. but still worthy point.

I only raised the Mould point, as I know it affects people with Asthma and does stop some of our members staying. It's on my radar to eradicate but will likely be easter now for the full eviction.
Got to get the ceiling done before we start on the proper job of the walls (and then new bunks).

BradW

SWCC have stopped allowing dogs and I think Wealdon CC have a ban too but best to ask directly for either to be sure.

rhychydwr1

BradW said:
SWCC have stopped allowing dogs and I think Wealdon CC have a ban too but best to ask directly for either to be sure.

There were dogs at SWCC [and I do not mean the wimmen] last time I was there.

PaulW

from SWCC website  -  Well behaved dogs are allowed only in the Small / Long Common Room and signing in area.

Antwan

Dont think you will need to stop at our hut, but the YSS allow dogs into the living areas during the day and they must sleep in the owners vehicle