Cheap Caving Lamp

Madness

Spotted this on Ebay the other day, so I ordered one as it was cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Front-Bicycle-Bike-Rechargeable-Head-Light-Torch-Headlight-Lamp/262007048528?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It arrived today and on first impressions it appears pretty good.

The pack includes the light, an 18650 battery, a handlebar bracket, a head cradle, a USB charging cable, and a small rear bike light.

The lamp has 4 power levels, plus strobe. Switching to strobe is separate to the other settings so you won't get annoyed when cycling through the power levels.

The lamp seems well made. The only downside I can see is that if you partially unscrew one end cap it uncovers the mini-usb charging socket which could potentially be a point of water ingress. I'll be filling this with silicone sealant and charging the battery outside the lamp.

The lamp unit has a threaded hole in the base where it mounts to the handlebar bracket. This is the same thread as a camera mount. This means you could mount it to a helmet using Go-Pro accessories.

I've yet to try it out underground, but for ?14 you can't really go wrong.

Aubrey

I have tried several cheap eBay lamps and none of them last very long, even when used in the dry lava tubes of the Canaries. They claim to be waterproof but the cheep battery contacts corrode and the switches often fail.
There is no comparison with the robustness of one of Roy's lamps.
You get what you pay for.

royfellows

Thank you for your kind remarks.
I am currently developing a new lamp which raises the immersion standard to IP68, which is 50 metres submersion. It will also use a GoPro mount and be compatible with other GoPro fittings

Tool room prototype SN1 looks impressive, but be well into next year before you see any.

darren

Hi Roy

Just for my understanding, I've just bought a caterpillar s41 phone which is supposed to be IP68 water resistant to 2m for 60 mins.

Is your IP rating different?

Ian

IP68 isn't a single standard. It is guaranteed to be suitable for immersion to a depth defined by the manufacturer.

NewStuff

Madness said:
I've yet to try it out underground, but for ?14 you can't really go wrong.

You can get better for cheaper. I still wouldn't use it underground, but it's great for tinkering with the bike outside.

nickwilliams

The Ingress Protection (IP) code is defined in the standard EN 60529:1992. An IP68 rating means the item will withstand continuous immersion, it is then up to the manufacturer to define what depth the item is capable of being immersed to.

NewStuff

Madness said:
NewStuff said:
You can get better for cheaper.

Can you post a link please? I'm always looking for the next thing to satisfy my torch fetish.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5W-Head-Lamp-CREE-Q5-LED-Light-HEADLAMP-FLASHLIGHT-free-shipping/1389363712.html

If you're using flat-top cells, you'll need to chuck a magnet onto the top of it to make a connection. It'll stay in the body though, so shouldn't need any more attention. Adjustable "zoom", and looks to be a Cree chip, about 2-300 actual Lumens.

Madness

NewStuff said:
Madness said:
NewStuff said:
You can get better for cheaper.

Can you post a link please? I'm always looking for the next thing to satisfy my torch fetish.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5W-Head-Lamp-CREE-Q5-LED-Light-HEADLAMP-FLASHLIGHT-free-shipping/1389363712.html

If you're using flat-top cells, you'll need to chuck a magnet onto the top of it to make a connection. It'll stay in the body though, so shouldn't need any more attention. Adjustable "zoom", and looks to be a Cree chip, about 2-300 actual Lumens.

Thanks