Rustproof harness?

Mattrees

I'm trying to source an SRT harness with either no buckles or with stainless buckles. I want to leave it in a cave for extended periods without corrosion worries.

I'd have one sewn but realise that one could not be sold in Europe without a CE mark.

Les W

Mattrees said:
I'm trying to source an SRT harness with either no buckles or with stainless buckles. I want to leave it in a cave for extended periods without corrosion worries.

I'd have one sewn but realise that one could not be sold in Europe without a CE mark.
You don't need a CE mark for something you commission, provided it isn't generally on sale to "the public"

Mark Wright

You could just just use a webbing sling big enough to make a nappy style harness.

If you are going to be taking all the metal components of the SRT kit with you every time does a conventional harness really take up that much room in your kit bag?

Mark

nickwilliams

Les W said:
You don't need a CE mark for something you commission, provided it isn't generally on sale to "the public"

This is not generally true, although there are some particular circumstances where it is correct.

royfellows

I have a load of climbing harnesses, (Not SRT) from an outdoor centre that closed down, everything had to go. Buckles appear to be aluminium. Never been underground and look in near new condition, Edelweiss and Petzl.

Alex

I have never had a harness long enough for it to rust. I tend to wear out the buckles well before then. It must be nice to have a harness long enough for it to rust!

Mattrees

Fulk said:
The cave I'm climbing in is pretty arduous, the environment particularly corrosive. My hardware is stainless and so can be left in-situ, the only exception is a chest ascender. The aven I'm climbing has taken repeated visits and there are many other avens I wish to explore.

Not lugging extra kit through the cave would mean more climbing time.

Alex said:
I have never had a harness long enough for it to rust. I tend to wear out the buckles well before then. It must be nice to have a harness long enough for it to rust!

How much salt water contamination do you get on your SRT kit?

royfellows said:
I have a load of climbing harnesses, (Not SRT) from an outdoor centre that closed down, everything had to go. Buckles appear to be aluminium. Never been underground and look in near new condition, Edelweiss and Petzl.

Thanks Roy, aluminium in this cave starts corroding within weeks.

Mark Wright said:
You could just just use a webbing sling big enough to make a nappy style harness.

Tried it, not very comfy for bolt climbing.

Les W said:

So I just need someone willing to take on the project, suggestions?

Fulk

Thanks for your reply.

My first SRT harness was remade form seat-belt material; you took a lengthy (~2 m?+), turned back a bit at each end, turned it back on itself and tied a knot, as a result of which you got a large loop for your thighs and a small loop for a maillon rapide. It was reasonably comfortable. Would that work for you? (I'll try and post a picture later.)

AR

You could consider unpicking the stitching on an existing harness to remove the buckles, then re-stitch in some marine-grade stainless ones? Some stainless rivets for extra reinforcement might not be a bad idea!

Mark Wright

Fulk said:
Thanks for your reply.

My first SRT harness was remade form seat-belt material; you took a lengthy (~2 m?+), turned back a bit at each end, turned it back on itself and tied a knot, as a result of which you got a large loop for your thighs and a small loop for a maillon rapide. It was reasonably comfortable. Would that work for you? (I'll try and post a picture later.)

My first SRT harness was made from 2" seat belt material and made into a nappy style harness and it worked OK. It wasn't very comfortable but what harness is?

When I'm doing a big bolt climb I tend to spend most of my time stood in etriers instead of sitting in the harness.

I'm struggling to visualise how arduous it can be that you can't just carry a normal harness on every trip. How much extra 'climbing time' will not carrying a harness really give you?

I can put you in touch with a UK harness manufacturer who might be able to knock you one up with Stainless fittings but it would probably cost you a small fortune.

Mark

Mattrees

Mark Wright said:
I'm struggling to visualise how arduous it can be that you can't just carry a normal harness on every trip.

You're right a harness isn't much, but the smaller/lighter a bag, the better.

I'm usually exhausted when I come out of the cave. Perhaps I just need to be fitter...

Duncan

This may be of interest:

http://cucc.survex.com/jnl/1982/crutch.htm

Its a design for a harness made from webbing and buckles, with no stitching. Lots of tedious feeding of webbing through buckles needed to put it together and adjust it! You'd just need to obtain some appropriate webbing and stainless buckles.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation, I have no idea how safe or suitable it is!

rob87

Mattrees said:
rob87 said:
Has stitching in it but no metal in it petzl superavanti that might good for you

Hi Rob, I have a Superavanti. It has 3 steel buckles, one per leg plus the waist.
I have one and yes your right  o_O  Reminds myself not to post when not thinking correctly I am a tool sometimes you could make your own or or tie one from rope personally think your brave I would never leave my gear in a cave or anywhere people have sticky fingers  :-\  but if you had a old petzl superavant you could remove the buckle's possibly? And stitch to fit but either way good luck  (y)