Check your torch batteries!

Madness

In case anyone needs reminding, it's worth checking the batteries in your torches, including the 'just in case' torch that lives in that drawer in your kitchen or utility room.

I failed to check mine. The result being badly leaking Duracell D cells and two junked torches.

At least it gives me the excuse to invest in a new torch or two.

royfellows

Most people who spend any time in the countryside will have several, and be in the habit of always having one in ones pocket.

I use modified Chinese torches that take Li Ion cells, but have a Fenix E11 with a Duracell AA on helmet side for any emergency.
I cannot recommend this torch highly enough, the run time of a single AA is astounding.
I have had it for years now with the same battery in it and no issues.

I have heard that Maplins own brand are at least as good as Duracell, but there people out there who shill, I dont know.

NewStuff

royfellows said:
I have heard that Maplins own brand are at least as good as Duracell, but there people out there who shill, I dont know.

They are - I don't work for them anymore, haven't for a few years now, but the cells (black/silver, not grey/silver) are still something I buy every xmas as they're on offer. Decent cells, about on par with Energiser and Duracell. GP cells are also good.

paul

Years ago I had a supposed "Duracell" AA leak in a Maglite. It swelled up as well and couldn't be shifted so that the Maglite was junked. I bought the cell in packet from a market stall and may have been counterfeit.

There's an old joke about a spare torch being "a receptacle for dead batteries" so it is definitely worth checking on their condition regularly.

royfellows

royfellows said:
I use modified Chinese torches that take Li Ion cells..........

Quoting myself, pardon, but I am making more of a statement here than meets the eye.
The word "modified"

So if you don't have the electronics skills to modify, better to buy a Fenix that doesn't need modification

It's also worth investing in some contact cleaner. I have an ancient Nova 3 that I bought second-hand and it took several applications of contact cleaner to remedy the flickering!

I also recently purchased a Fenix E01 (the keyring sized model) which I keep on the side of my lid. Small and mighty pretty much sums it up. When I add to my lamp collection later in the year, I shall most likely order from Fenix again.