Aygill Caverns - Cascades rope

Selkirk

Hello,

as per roughly half three this afternoon there is no descent rope on the "third" or cascade pitch in Aygill. During a trip today it was discovered that there was wear to the sheath midway down the first pitch just before the rebelay. Upon ascending, by the final few this wear had turned into a foot of exposed core. After some improvised ropework it was decided to remove the rope 1 mtr from the initial belay point. The traverse line is still in tact but unfortunately the damaged rope is still attached to the rebelay halfway down the pitch.

I'm afraid we didn't have a rope we could leave in return so anybody else going should factor in another 15-20m rope should they wish to get to the bottom...

Matt

langcliffe

Selkirk said:
as per roughly half three this afternoon there is no descent rope on the "third" or cascade pitch in Aygill. During a trip today it was discovered that there was wear to the sheath midway down the first pitch just before the rebelay. Upon ascending, by the final few this wear had turned into a foot of exposed core. After some improvised ropework it was decided to remove the rope 1 mtr from the initial belay point. The traverse line is still in tact but unfortunately the damaged rope is still attached to the rebelay halfway down the pitch.

I'm afraid we didn't have a rope we could leave in return so anybody else going should factor in another 15-20m rope should they wish to get to the bottom...

If people are going to descend Aygill in conditions when they cannot clamber down the cascades (and why not?), then I suggest that the pitch should be properly P-bolted, and an extra rope taken when water levels are up.