Orpheus - Track this weekend

ttxela2

Can anyone advise what the track to the OCC is like at the moment, snow wise?

I'm supposed to be staying there this weekend whilst I attend a training course but will be bringing my stupidly inappropriate Celica  :-\

paul

Last night it was bad as we drove back from Buxton at 22:30. During the day most melted but there's more snow forecast this evening. The worst part is getting back up the track from the cottage so when conditions are dodgy, we park just the far side of the first gate (the metal one) when approaching from the A515, in the field by the track before the wooden gate crossing the Tissington Trail.

ttxela2

paul said:
Last night it was bad as we drove back from Buxton at 22:30. During the day most melted but there's more snow forecast this evening. The worst part is getting back up the track from the cottage so when conditions are dodgy, we park just the far side of the first gate (the metal one) when approaching from the A515, in the field by the track before the wooden gate crossing the Tissington Trail.

I'll bear that in mind, that's the field that is a caravan site in the summer?

paul

ttxela2 said:
paul said:

I'll bear that in mind, that's the field that is a caravan site in the summer?

Exactly. But don't park on the track itself, obviously!

ttxela2 said:
Ian Ball said:
Snow chains just in case? Park at the top of the hill?

Hmm, don't own any, I'm from Cambridge you know  :LOL:

I'm nr Watford and own a pair. Got me out of trouble trying to get to the SWCC just after Christmas. I'm also lso staying at the Orpheus so you could borrow my chains once I'm safe and sound....

Anyway, my old NA MX5 used to manage just fine in the snow, so a Celica should be fine (unlike my current Scenic, which is an absolute turd).

ttxela2

Due to work issues it now seems likely I'll be leaving early Saturday morning instead of coming up on Friday night - so may not see you until Saturday evening :)

AR

As long as we don't get a freeze tonight or tomorrow you'll probably fine, so far the snow has been melting almost as fast as it's fallen.

mikem

There are more roads closed by snow in the Peak (3) than there are in the whole of Scotland (2)...

Mike

SamT

AR said:
As long as we don't get a freeze tonight or tomorrow you'll probably fine, so far the snow has been melting almost as fast as it's fallen.

Everything froze down quite hard last night - The side roads/pavements in sheffield are treacherous with black ice this morning.

Made it to our meeting point with no issue, however one of our party stayed at the Orpheus last night and has managed to get himself well and truly stuck in the mud.

We're now en route to rescue him.

Jenny P

Anyone staying at Orpheus in wintry weather is advised to park at the top of the hill, close to the field gate on the side away from the main road (in the field that is sometimes used for caravans), and not to try to drive down to the Hut.  Or if the forecast is for snow or ice, you could drive down to unload, then drive back up immediately and leave your vehicle parked at the top.

More detailed instructions are always emailed to visitors if required and I have already emailed both ttxela2 and other visitors for this weekend.  The problem is always the rather steep section of the track immediately above the top gate on the bridge.  If necessary on your way out, open the gate and drive right through the few extra yards, without stopping, to the level part part of the track, then walk back down and close the gate.

Jenny Potts,
OCC Cottage Booking Secretary

ttxela2

I didn't make it at all in the end due to the onset of a D&V bug that began to make it's presence felt on the journey up. Around Leicester I gave in and beat a retreat for the porcelain comforts of home  :yucky:

I was caught out this morning trying to go down the A515, which was blocked by a lorry.

Once I'd stopped that was it and my car firmly refused to move, until I dressed it with snow chains, after which I managed to coax the bastard back up the road and off towards Matlock.

Jenny P

Yup, you may make it up the track and find the main road blocked  :mad:

It's the stretch between the Hartington turn and Buxton which gets clobbered as the road goes quite high and the snow drifts across.