Pack Mules

Trogladite

Hi all, Do any of you realize how lucky you are to run around the countryside in a car  to go and explore a Cave or Mine?.
In the 1950's we had to go into the Peak Districy via Train or Bus from Sheffield, then we had to walk to our destination carrying all our caving clobber, and we say "The good old days" I wonder, Ha,Ha.
Photo - P.Tottle & Vic Allott Nr Frogett Edge.

Attachments

• PackH.jpg
    PackH.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 424
  • PackH.jpg
    PackH.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 337

Tommy

Many of the student cavers get the bus out to some degree, or share cars/scrounge lifts.

Buses aren't as reliable or ubiquitous these days, the same challenges remain for many as when you were a lad - kit bags look to be a similar size!

In my (recent) student days I'd often hitchhike - great fun.

Nice photos, thanks for the insight.

Laurie

In my younger days some of us had cars but if we actually made it to the caving area we then had the challenge of driving back home. Our caving club carpark was sometimes littered with dead motors.

Mark Wright

Topimo said:
Many of the student cavers get the bus out to some degree, or share cars/scrounge lifts.

Buses aren't as reliable or ubiquitous these days, the same challenges remain for many as when you were a lad - kit bags look to be a similar size!

In my (recent) student days I'd often hitchhike - great fun.

Nice photos, thanks for the insight.

I don't think the Sheffield to Castleton bus service has changed much since the early 1980's. I used to catch the Castleton bus as far as the Dore Moor Inn and then hitch hike. The bus fare was only 2p in those days. I always beat the bus to Castleton. I worked full time at Speedwell and Blue John Caverns for over 2 years and would hitch there and back every day.

After a session in the Bull's Head in Castleton on the Friday night we would then walk up to the SUSS hut on Rowter Farm with all our gear and walk to all the caves.

The one time I remember someone actually having a car, it broke down half way up the Winnats.

Mark

nobrotson

train and walk is also a good one. It is possible to walk over the back of Whernside from Ribblehead railway station to Kingsdale, along with all the obvious caves accessible from Horton by train. When I was in New Zealand I would hitch everywhere to go caving and climbing, often with ridiculous sized bags, and I never failed to get to where I wanted to go in a day. Hitching is much more accepted as part of daily life there, maybe because people are more trusting and also probably because public transport there is quite poor compared to many other countries.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Read 'One Man, One Pan'.

I went on expedition to the same area in China years later, there were roads, 4x4's, meals cooked for us every night etc etc.  What those cavers did on foot (and by mostly eating eggs!) in the 80's was mightily impressive.... great read, buy it for the caver in your life for Valentines  :kiss2:

http://inglesport.com/products/one-man-one-pan

wl

droid

Laurie said:
In my younger days some of us had cars but if we actually made it to the caving area we then had the challenge of driving back home. Our caving club carpark was sometimes littered with dead motors.

Aah yes.

The Sunday afternoon 'get the buggers going' routine..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: