Ropes in Oddmire entrance

alexchien

Does anyone know whose ropes are in Oddmire entrance ?

The rope is fine, but the alloy karabiners are in a very bad state, they are corroding (aluminium alloy on stainless steel) and leaving a slimy residue on themselves and the new IC anchors. We managed to take one off, a snap link, but the other alloy karabiner gates are seized.
Either the owners or the next group down should take up some mole-grips and a hacksaw and remove them from the new in-situ anchors asap.

Simon Beck

I think the carabiners are mine but not the rope. We rigged Oddmire back in 2016 during a series of exploration related visits. I actually thought it had been derigged last year. I will sort this out myself.

Alex

I guess the guys always planned to go back Si but it never happened hence the rope left in. Waste of crabs really. I too had not realised it had been left rigged/still rigged.

Simon Wilson

For leaving caves rigged it's worth investing in some stainless maillons. They cost about ?8 but they will last a lifetime.

You need a spanner for stainless maillons but that's OK for long term rigging. If you're wondering why you need a spanner it's because the stainless steel can't be bent as accurately as the special steel that normal maillons are made from. The threads on stainless maillons rarely line up accurately enough for them to be turned by fingers.