BCA AGM/Party weekend 2018

andrewmcleod

Anybody know the date for this yet - the only thing I could find on the BCA site (it does not seem to appear on the calendar) is in the minutes from the last AGM where it is provisionally set as the 9/10th June - is this unlikely to change?

alastairgott

Namho Conference 2018, I think, though all reference to this joint venture seems to have disappeared? Guess it may have been rearranged.

NAMHO's in the Royal Forest of Dean though, but the weekend before 1-3rd June https://www.namho2018.info/

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I know the AGM will be on the Sunday morning of the NAMHO event with a council meeting following after lunch (well that is the usual format).  I think the rest of the weekend is up to the NAMHO organisers.

Recent BCA AGM locations have gone in this order;

Peak
Dales
Forest of Dean
Mendip
Peak
Forest of Dean

Before that they were all held in Alvechurch, south of Birmingham and the M42.

In order to maximise the opportunity for involvement from around the regions it is important that the AGMs move around consistently.  It is no surprise that few 'northern' area cavers are attracted to the BCA.

Pitlamp

Could you elaborate a bit on that last remark Badlad? I'm very much a northern caver and I think BCA is great. (That's why I've been a DIM for a long time.)

Or were you commenting on the reluctance of northern cavers to serve as officers?

I've been urged to stand for election as a BCA officer in the past. My problem has generally been that I've also been acting as an officer of other organisations within the caving community and I never felt I had the time resources to do a BCA job properly as well. I also usually felt that I'd be unlikely to do a better job than those already in office. (Just saying - in case it helps to know that not all northern cavers shun direct involvement with BCA without considerable soul searching.)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I was meaning as officers and those participating in council rather than BCA members.  A friend of mine (and yours pitlamp) analysed where the 40+ members of council were from/represented.  There was a disproportionately low number from our region and I am pointing out that having meetings and AGMs so far from our region does not help.  It is a point I have made to council.  Cheers

Pitlamp

Ah - many thanks Badlad; now I understand the point you were making. (Which I completely agree with, incidentally.)

Thanks for taking the trouble to flag that up at Council; it's far better if the assemblage of officers gives a balanced representation from the regions. So well done.

JoW

Yes, 1st-3rd June in the Forest of Dean (source: BCRA council meeting earlier this month so AFAIK that's right)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bratchley

I imagine I'd be right to assume it's not quite a 'party weekend' this year then as it has been for the last few...?

mikem

It is now on BCA diary (no mention of a party):
http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=diary

Mike

Les W

mikem said:
It is now on BCA diary (no mention of a party):
http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=diary

Mike

There's an option on the NAMHO bookings site for BCA AGM (Free).
This gives you a delegate booking number and allows you to add the Saturday night meal and party at Clearwell Caves.

badger

at least 3 people on council live as far or further than the Yorkshire dales to alvenchurch. whilst northern cavers may not want to get involved in bca, distance to alvenchurch is a red herring as when you look at the distance's it is more central than any other area. for information I arrived at home on Saturday after the council meeting at 1930, a 3 hour journey, fortunately the M25 was behaving,
and whilst with regards the agm it could be better served as with HE north, south, Derbyshire, wales.