Caving lights - an overview ...

Leclused

I saw this overview of caving lamps. It doesn't make the choice easier :)

http://souterweb.free.fr/boitaoutils/eclairage/Nipharled%20IV/les_lampes_du_marche.htm

mch

The first thing that strikes me is that Roy Fellows' products (ledcaplamps.com) are missing from this list. Wonder if there are any others?

Cave_Troll

ledcaplamps seems to be about half way down
but the url is wrong

http://www.ledcavinglamp.co.uk/

Origine : ROYAUME-UNI

royfellows

The list in the OP is also including the Viper that I understand is no longer manufactured and has not been for years, and the Rude Nora which unfortunately hasn't bee around for while.

Issue is that there are to the best of my knowledge only one other UK manufacturer beside me at present making dedicated caving lamps, and only the Scurion being imported.

Leclused

royfellows said:
The list in the OP is also including the Viper that I understand is no longer manufactured and has not been for years, and the Rude Nora which unfortunately hasn't bee around for while.

For the Viper there is a note "NB : 2017 mod?le indisponible."  which means "not available" (Same for the Rude Nora)

Benfool

The Viper has indeed stopped being manufactured - I had to rebuild somebodies battery a couple of months back as the cells were on their way out.

Other than the Scurion, I believe the Phaethon and El Speleo are being regularly imported into the country - however of the non-UK made lights, I'm pretty sure only Scurion have dedicated UK based Sales, support and maintenance.

B

royfellows

Yes and Nashi is a no go as are Stenlights in this Country.

I believe that the El Speleo was being imported before Bernies changed hands, now its USA and pay their 'imaginative' postal charges.
You could probably buy one of my lamps for what it would cost in postage for anything from the USA
:LOL:

One week last year I sold 6 lamps, no bloody wonder.

darkreef

El Speleo lamps may be ordered directly from the manufacturer elspeleo@gmail.com (Croatia) with very reasonable UK delivery charges, therefore avoiding buying from the USA site.

See : http://www.elwork-speleo.hr/index.aspx?l=EN

caving_fox

It would be useful if there was information on battery life and lamp output (and price). As it is, it's informing to know how much choice is available, but not helpful in making that choice. (fortunately I'm happy with my current lamp and don't need to investigate other options)

royfellows

Following an email inquiry just received, a shameless but hopefully helpful ad.

I will happily modify Stenlights to sturdy XT 60 connector and supply my 3 cell 3.5 AH aluminium cased power banks, charger etc. Can supply chargers for ?10 suitable for Stenlights. Unfortunately cannot fix knackered Stenlight lamps, already looked at one.

royfellows

I have to thank the OP for this very interesting link, and recommend browsing the other pages, use Google translate.
There are pages that include the very weird and wonderful including a few that have evolved into commercial ventures, the crude originals look familiar!

I see a few of mine!

pwhole

royfellows said:
I will happily modify Stenlights to sturdy XT 60 connector and supply my 3 cell 3.5 AH aluminium cased power banks, charger etc. Can supply chargers for ?10 suitable for Stenlights. Unfortunately cannot fix knackered Stenlight lamps, already looked at one.

When my Stenlight battery fails you've got a guaranteed order!

royfellows

Re Stenlights

Wormster kindly supplied a knackered one for me to dissect.

There is a PCB which mounts everything at the back of the lamp. Switching is analogue through a series of magnetic switches in a half circle activated through the casing by a tiny magnet set into the stainless steel rotating switch. Anyone stripping a lamp should take extreme care not to loose this, it just drops out. Light direction is through plastic optics.

The PCB is fixed in place by thermal adhesive, its difficult to remove without damage and I suggest a repair would necessitate a new PCB.
Internally, its exactly the same size as one of my Dragons (pure coincidence, honest) which lead me to initially believe that I could create a "StenDragon", but other differences make this impossible. Dragons use reflectors behind direct bonded glass, plus some other issues.

There may still be a repair service available through the person who was UK agent when these were available. I dont know.

Leclused

Benfool said:
Yes, the Stenlight effects the readings from both a traditional compass and from a distox.

B

Only when you hold the distox near the lamp and with a distox you mostly don't do that :) Only in tight passages where you are laying down and where the distox is beside your headlamp it can be the case and affect the reading.

pwhole

I just held my Stenlight near a liquid-filled compass on a table, and it had to be within 2cm of it to create any deflection at all, and even then it wasn't much, so I doubt it's an issue in practise. Anyway, I'm usually the target man when we're surveying, as I'm not to be trusted with expensive gear ;)

royfellows

Beware of shills spreading rumours about rival products. The compass business is pure BS unless you hold it really close to the lamp. Stenlights are good reliable lamps except for the plugs which are appalling. But you would only have to wrap it in tape.
It was possibly the lightest lamp in production at 125 grams, better than my Dragon at 130 grams!