Crampons for caving

JoW

Has anyone ever used crampons caving (for caves with ice in them)? Did you put them on your wellies or wear your boots down the cave?

SamT

No. However, only ever encountered snow cones.  That said, other caves in the area had frozen sheets of ice to navigate.

Depends on how much and how technical the terrain, but these could be handy:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sh100-grip-anti-slip-black-id_8398360.html?_cclid=v3_98b5c19f-9a59-5965-a8a4-541959b445b9&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0_3lyNnm2gIVCLvtCh0WTwe6EAQYAyABEgI9YPD_BwE

langcliffe

JoW said:
Has anyone ever used crampons caving (for caves with ice in them)? Did you put them on your wellies or wear your boots down the cave?

I've used my boots, but didn't need to go wading in water at all.

aricooperdavis

Unless you're doing anything that needs full on crampons then I suspect that microspikes would be a good middle ground that you could slip on over wellies?

917daqFfzSL._SL1500_.jpg

snoboy

We found ourselves wanting for crampons on an expedition trip and not having any. :(

The section was almost entirely on rope, and we gathered sand from another part of the cave to spread over the ice patches. Worked quite well. Next time I will bring some micro spike style to wear on my wellies.

Fulk

Those minicrampons are very good for walking in snowy conditions; I have some 'proper' crampons and some of these mini-ones, and I find that the latter are so much easier to put on and take off, even with cold fingers (though, mind you, I must admit that my 'proper' crampons are very old ? I daresay modern ones have much better straps). For ordinary walking on icy ground they're excellent.

Pitlamp

Those rubber things with studs that Sam mentioned - there's a shop in Keswick having a closing down sale. They've got them in the window at only ?3. Just saying in case anyone's up that way.