Controversy?

caverbabe

Since I haven't done anything karsty and scientific like this year to warrant a lecture at Hidden Earth (wherever it may end up being), but I AM attending and am preparing my first art submission at present (ooooo!) I was thinking that the two moderated discussions I've organised in the past (Fracking and Gender in Sports - both well attended and very interesting comments from the attendees), that it might be fun to have an annual open forum discussion on a hot button topic.  I'm thinking of calling it "Shine a Light On....".  I may not always be the one to present or moderate the session, but if I do, it means I get the opportunity to research and learn about a topic that may not be in my paradigm.

Having said that, anything (besides CRoW - I don't think we have enough time in the whole weekend to cover that) which may be of interest and have varied views and an opportunity to share?  No idea too crazy....

I know, I asked for it here!

alastairgott

Gates of Derbyshire.

and a new technical debate on "observations of the solidification of paint particles onto an aging metallic body in an outdoor environment".

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
How about, "Shine a light on - the future of the BCA".  It will have a new chairman by then and already several discussions about what it is, what people want it to be, what it can be and what it should be. It would certainly be a good opportunity to hear more views from cavers who don't necessarily want to attend BCA meetings.

Goydenman

Shine a light on...is the exploration (digging) and conservation helped or hindered by openness and co-operation or secrecy and control or both depending on factors and what factors

mrodoc

Goydenman said:
Shine a light on...is the exploration (digging) and conservation helped or hindered by openness and co-operation or secrecy and control or both depending on factors and what factors

Snatched the words from my mouth. OR will know what I refer to!

David Rose

I second Badlad's excellent suggestion. This would be a perfect opportunity to have such a discussion. And on Les's home ground!

Kenilworth

Controversy for fun is pretty popular now isn't it? Controversy can be justified if the result of telling the truth, or an unavoidable consequence of reaching toward truth, but controversy for its own sake is only self-indulgent stupidity. If you haven't got any difficult truths to tell or any difficult questions to answer, quit digging around for some way to contrive a stir.

NewStuff

Cap'n Chris said:
It's future will be ongoing, most likely.

For a time? Yes.
But it needs to change. The New chairman knows that better than most. If a few members don't let it change, it'll wither away, despite now having a forward-thinking Chairman.

AR

Kenilworth said:
Controversy for fun is pretty popular now isn't it? Controversy can be justified if the result of telling the truth, or an unavoidable consequence of reaching toward truth, but controversy for its own sake is only self-indulgent stupidity. If you haven't got any difficult truths to tell or any difficult questions to answer, quit digging around for some way to contrive a stir.

Oh, the irony of this.... :-\

caverbabe

AR said:
Kenilworth said:

Oh, the irony of this.... :-\

Exactly!

Missed the point entirely. I?m not stirring it up. It exists and I want to give people a chance to look one another in the eye and see if they have the cajones to say the trolling tripe they happily post online. Which is why a debate about BCA needs to happen at a BCA meeting. If you care enough about it don?t whinge, work and participate and BE the change. The topics I?ve addressed in the past were born directly from this forum when heated debate over an issue clearly affected a wider audience than was being reached. I?m sure if I lurk in the shadows long enough something fun will pop up on here.