P B Smith "Master Caver" 1938 - 1998

rhychydwr1

Two good obituaries by John Gunn and Dave Lowe:
Cave and Karst Science Vol 25 No 3 December 1988 page 108

alastairgott

I believe there was also a very good obituary in Descent at the time, which tells the tale of how he burnt his beard! sadly I never met him.

There's also a home video of the TSG Trip to the Berger. With guest appearances from PB and a younger Mr Wright. (I believe Eddie Mason has this video)

pwhole

That Berger trip (1987) is also partially documented in the upcoming TSG Journal 19, though sadly PB only makes a photo in that one. But some of his TSG project-work also makes a brief appearance in another article.

Mark Wright

pwhole said:
That Berger trip (1987) is also partially documented in the upcoming TSG Journal 19, though sadly PB only makes a photo in that one. But some of his TSG project-work also makes a brief appearance in another article.

Before you go to print, 'That Berger trip' which Eddie Mason and PB filmed was in 1992.

Mark

pwhole

Ah right - no worries, we already have gone to print, but it won't conflict - the article's not by me. I'd totally forgotten about the video though until Al mentioned it.

yrammy

I have photos of the TSG Berger trip in 1987 plus a lot of correspondence and lists of who went if TSG are interested  in any of that . There is a good photo of PB with a knotted hanky on his head.

alastairgott

Of course, We'd always have more things. I'm not quite sure where we would display them but would definitely be good to have them.

pwhole

Sadly too late to go in this edition, but there is one campsite photo included, with PBS wearing said knotted hanky on head...;)

But if these are digital files, we can archive them somewhere, certainly. An online gallery of past TSG events/projects would be a nice idea, though would also take a lot of time to set up, no doubt.

pwhole

Well, they've done a great job printing previous volumes I've worked on, and it is good to support local outfits where possible - and they're only five mins from my home  :halo: