Winnats Pass completely flooded...

A_Northerner

SUSS is at the TSG that weekend, reckon a few of us will show up for this! I'll make sure they know to set either really early or late callouts  ;)

AR

Right time of year for an evening light show, Phil ;) Will have to try and get down one evening for a look myself.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Did anyone go?  Saw on Channel 4 news this evening and said was on for fours days.

Any photos?,though imagine difficult to capture  :)

pwhole

It was OK I guess, but not as exciting as billed, nor as spectacular - they were doing similar at Glastonbury, circa 1985, with far better long-term results on the punters ;)

For one thing, the lasers are not sited at the top of the pass, but halfway up, meaning only the bottom half is 'filled' - and the wardens won't let you go any further up the road. We may go back out tonight and see if a better viewpoint can be found (though I'd like to survive the evening too).

Cave_Troll

I walked in last night along the top from Mam tor.
good view from the top of Matterhorn ridge
another good view with more of the "flooding" effect from the ridge above suicide

then we walked down , played shadow puppets with one of the lasers and then stood at the bottom before finding we were on the wrong side of the fence :)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Posted by request, thanks.

wl

We were somewhat underwhelmed.

I imagined that the installation would make much more use of the majestic natural landscape of the pass, lighting up some of the high crags and rocky ridges.  Instead it largely comprises of pools of rippling light which float not far above road level, together with the inevitable dry ice, with just the one orange beam lighting up a bank of steep grass!

We walked up the road, intending to get above the lights and see how it looked from above, only to be stopped by a pair of officious marshalls telling us we could go no further.  If you do go up and want to walk beyond this pair, the code seems to be to just tell them you've parked at the top of the pass, and need to get back to your car.  Oh, and you then have to promise to 'go straight there'!

All that said, it was a nice evening, with a lot of folk out and about, which was nice.  And by arriving at 9 (as opposed to the advertised start time of 7), there was plenty of free parking available....

Lots of people were taking photos with expensive cameras and tripods, but I got the shot above by balancing my point and press camera on my partners head, and asking her to stand still!

Neil

pwhole

It was funny - I thought about taking the camera up, but the thought of photographing someone else's 'artwork' for my own use seemed a bit pointless. Though yours has come out much better than I thought they would. But I do consider myself an artist (of some sort), so I'm probably biased.Though realistically I'm more worried about folks pissing about near our dig after getting lost in the dark ;)

SamT

Yeah- it was a bit
"Meh"

Glad I went, and it was a nice atmosphere amongst the crowd.  Kids enjoyed the sense of adventure.  But my initial thoughts were a:not anywhere near as spectacular as it could have been, I was expecting the shield and shining tor to be flood lit at the very least. 

And b: it was not as good as the orbit in 1994 as there was no banging techno.  :alien:

ILT

It looked better in Holland where it represented sea level above the land  and covered a wide flat area. Somehow seemed to be something missing in Winnats. From above it never looked like it filled the valley but you couldn't see that when it was just above your head. I was surprised it was only the bottom section of the pass that was used - expected it to be the whole thing. We heard comments about not being allowed in certain places due to the lasers but weren't actually stopped. You get better lighting at certain concerts...but they cost more too. In terms of photography - probably better as video than stills given that the motion is the main part of the effect.

With that said, it did look good and was well worth ten minutes of anyones time.

Cave_Troll

looked different from above.
not better or worse, just different

worth seeing it from both sides if you go out over the next few days

SamT

Hasbeen caver said:
What it really needed, Sam, was a big floodlight on 'Checkpoint Charlie', with a situ climber wobbling at the end of the runout....

:LOL:  I was thinking more of someone cruising stylishly through the bulges and up the headwall on Rite of Way.

Just the slight risk of pulling a block off  :-[

(I've just clocked who you are  ;))