Calling 2008 Mendip migrators

mrodoc

FYI I have discovered Flybe are doing ridiculously cheap flights to Inverness from Exeter starting May 8th 2008. I may well move my migration to then as cost of hire car plus flight would actually be cheaper than my current fuel bills. Would have to forgo the diving but it looks as though there will be plenty of caving/digging to be done. Any takers?

menacer

Thanks for the heads up Mrodoc, its got a thumbs up from me... (y)
Always wanted to go to Scotland but everytime I spend 2 hrs sitting in heavy traffic around Birmingham then manchester then Blackpool etc etc just to go to Yorkshire, I change my mind... :cry:
Keep me informed of your dates  (y)  (do you think the nhs could afford to lose 2 of its finest workers on the same weekend  :LOL:)

mrodoc

Will do. the dates are slightly later. re flights = enviromental badness I suspect it's just as bad belting up the road with a diesel vehicle plus I do things for a purpose not just to bimble about pointlessly. Of course that's my point of view of other people's activities. 

cap n chris

Environmental badness is a human construct. The logical extension of eco-lovers' policies is the reintroduction of concentration camps.

kay

menacer said:
everytime I spend 2 hrs sitting in heavy traffic around Birmingham then manchester then Blackpool etc etc just to go to Yorkshire,

Hint: the journey to Yorkshire can be made more speedily if you omit the Manchester to Blackpool leg

ChrisJC

ian.p said:
short haul flights = enviromental badness
Well, a quick scan of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_efficiency_in_transportation
shows that air travel isn't as bad as you might think. Better not to make the journey!

Chris.

kay

The figures are calculated on average load. Hence a normally full aircraft  beats a train which on average will be travelling half full (no matter what it feels like on a monday morning rush hour).

So you could argue (as the article does) that if you hop onto a scheduled public transport vehicle, then your additional 'cost' is virtually zero - whether it be train, bus or air. Or even your wife's car, if she was making the journey anyway.

It's a different perspective depending on whether you as an individual are making a decision about a particular journey, or whether the decision is over which transport methods the country as a whole should support.

Of course, there is the argument that if lots of us travel by short haul air (or whatever), because the plane was flying anyway so we individually don't make any difference, then we contribute to the profitability and the likelihood that air travel will increase.

graham

cap 'n chris said:
Environmental badness is a human construct. The logical extension of eco-lovers' policies is the reintroduction of concentration camps.

Complete bollox of course.

mrodoc

FYI am not going up as planned with main Migration but on 12th April for a week as going with Martin and Mrs. Grass plus taking my wife.  Hope to meet some Grampian members on the Sunday or the following Friday or Saturday.

Hatstand

kay said:
menacer said:
everytime I spend 2 hrs sitting in heavy traffic around Birmingham then manchester then Blackpool etc etc just to go to Yorkshire,

Hint: the journey to Yorkshire can be made more speedily if you omit the Manchester to Blackpool leg

:LOL:

D

Dep

mrodoc said:
FYI I have discovered Flybe are doing ridiculously cheap flights to Inverness from Exeter starting May 8th 2008. I may well move my migration to then as cost of hire car plus flight would actually be cheaper than my current fuel bills. Would have to forgo the diving but it looks as though there will be plenty of caving/digging to be done. Any takers?

Handy for those in the SW who want to go to NAMHO...

mrodoc

For cavermark. Intoduced Sally - older daughter - to more Assynt caving with descent of Rana to Sump 7 with Martin Grass. Also did a Knockers tourist trip and a visit to Anus where we removed the ancient rope on Thunderghast after it broke on me. Weather too nice to go digging! Did take some pictures - now have an excellent drip pit collection from GNTM.

A

Agrophobic

:eek: Was that the first rope you come to after the sphincter? or the one up the side of the falls?

mrodoc

The one up the side of the falls. We left the rope at the GSG hut and put a note in the log book.