Author Topic: Drunkards hole - 29th January 2014  (Read 977 times)

Offline dave_the_cave

• obsessive maniac
    • dave_the_cave's blog
Drunkards hole - 29th January 2014
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:47 pm »
who: Dave G, Tim T, George, Rowan, Scott, Steve
where: Drunkards Hole
when: 29th January 2014

A short trip to the 3m squeeze for me and a long wait

This a first trip for everyone and probably my only trip. The part of the cave that I managed to see was a claustrophobic awkward rift. At the bottom of which is a 3m climb down to caverns massive or say the others say. Horrible was all I saw.
I failed to pass the squeeze before the 3m climb near the bottom of the entrance rift. I was facing the wrong way the first time, but got further the second attempt,  despite keeping a foot jammed to stop me falling down the climb. I need not have worried and it probably made me too rigid. Anyhow I wiggled one way and got my bum stuck wiggled the other and my gut got stuck. I was first and did not like it. It was the end of the evening for me. I retreated and allowed others to make their successful attempts.

Off the main route there is a chamber and a couple of avens off it. Here is Steve exploring one of them.

Here is George who seems to be enjoying it

After some debate about the climb. First Steve then Scott passed the 3m climb followed by Tim and George.
Tim decided to return and keep me company after a while, leaving the others to explore the farther reaches.
He was also rather unnerved by the loose boulders and small rocks holding them up. The others were made of sterner stuff and continued on to the farther reaches.

The entrance rift where I waited for Tim

Tim emerges

Well at least we were sure we picked the right hole

The good news was that we made the pub, and had a pint of potholer but not in the hunters. But the plume and feathers
in Rickford is a more than useful replacement and much closer to burrington combe. The landlady has also been caving and is fearful that her son wants to do more. I doubt we reassured her much, but she was friendly enough. Not a good trip for me
- I need surgery or the cave does. Perhaps if the fabled connection materialises another attempt. The others enjoyed themselved more, but I got well cold waiting for an hour on the surface - with my stuff locked in Scotts car. The plus side was that I had two beers rather than one as I was not driving.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: Drunkards hole - 29th January 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:45 pm »
Don't be disheartened Dave, you are a caver to be callenged, the cave is there to challenge you, who makes the descision?
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Dingley Dell

• player
Re: Drunkards hole - 29th January 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:54 pm »
It was a good trip, just a shame that you and Tim didn't make it beyond the chimney.  I still think you would get down (and up!) it...

The cave opens out nicely beyond the pitch and I for one hope that the connection is made with it's nearby neighbours