Author Topic: 14/10/15 Waterwheel Swallet  (Read 1625 times)

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
14/10/15 Waterwheel Swallet
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:11:44 am »
Attendees: Jon, Tim, Ruth, Steve
Some busy times at work and a near migration to Uk bouldering has left a bit of a gap in trip reports/caving trips over the summer. It's dark again so we are finally out caving again (having pinned for the hunters long enough)

Another joyful drive to Mendip from Bristol (bridge swing anyone?) left us a bit frazzed, as did not knowing where the meeting point was(forgot to check the email) Thankfully we found Jon waiting for us. Also thankful Jon knew the way to the cave, as last time it took us around an hour to find the entrance!

Down the climb downs we went listening to Jon's history and informative information (think he's been taking lessons with the Cap'tin) I delayed everyone taking photos having not set my camera up properly. I'd forgotten quite how pretty it was in the cave, it looked especially good well lit with everyone's lights.

Before the wet bits we stopped briefly to light some candles to sing happy birthday to Jon before the cake got drowned, then rebagged the cake & left it on a ledge for it's trip out of the cave.

Through the 'slumps' we went with lots of squeels. Jon kindly creating a waterfall for me. Once through Tim and Steve descended the pitch whilst Jon and I waited at the top. I was intending on descending, but gave it a miss as everyone was starting to get cold.

Jon & Tim headed on our whilst Steve and I derigged, and filmed a pointless video. Climbing out I was bemused by multiple echoing voices which turned out to be a party from the Wessex. Having gotten rid of lots of ill fitting wellies (for CROW donations) I'd got a new smaller pair, which were huge round the calves, and thus filled with what felt like 10x my body weight, but embarrassing trying to climb up something whilst others are looking down wondering what you were up to. The Wessex were good enough not to eat our cake, so into the tackle bag it went. We gained a frog on the way out also which Jon rescued in his tackle sack and released into the wilds.

And in the Hunters we went, we must have looked bedraggled as Roger kindly brought out a heater for us :)  :beer2:

Offline mrdetail

• addict
  • WCC, B&DCC, CCOO
Re: 14/10/15 Waterwheel Swallet
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:50:30 am »
CRO donation surely  :)
go easy

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 10:42:43 am »
A few snaps taken during the trip, a bit wobbly as no tripod.

Preparing the cake for it's outward journey

[/img

Looking down at Steve using the traverse line across the pool at the bottom

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 10:43:16 am »
Queen of typos..

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 11:43:14 am »
Queen of typos..
Do you do much caving in Yorkshire? MCR might be more appropriate...

Mike

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:57:44 am »
It went into the tin in the Hunters :)

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 01:32:25 pm »
Why did you "drown" the cake? P.s. good photos, not had the pleasure of that particular cave.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:17:40 pm »
Why did you "drown" the cake? P.s. good photos, not had the pleasure of that particular cave.

I mean't we got the cake/matches out before they got into the potential to be drowned wet bits :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:34:11 pm by bagpuss »

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »

Offline mrdetail

• addict
  • WCC, B&DCC, CCOO
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 05:20:50 pm »
Think we need these next time - no excess moisture in the cake.

I mean't we got the cake/matches out before they got into the potential to be drowned wet bits :)

go easy