Author Topic: 9/11/15 - Compton Martin Ochre Mine  (Read 1924 times)

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
9/11/15 - Compton Martin Ochre Mine
« on: November 10, 2015, 07:33:40 pm »
Present: Jon, Ruth & Duncan

Jon arranged a last minute trip with Duncan S from the forum, and invited the club along to attend. I was the only one hard enough to cave twice in one week (not hard at all, just happened to have a babysitter for both nights, and a desire to get the hell out of Bristol for the evening!)

This is going to bit of a photo report I'm afraid. We all had fun getting up the slippery, muddy, leafy bank, only managing to locate the hand line halfway up the slope, and it failing for Jon when he tried to use it. (he fixed it back up on the way back down)

The mine is fantastically decorated in fungi which has grown on the much decayed pit props, the earlier ones barely discernible, presumably dating back to the opening of the mine in 1910, the more recent ones put into the mine in 2007 (?) starting to bow out and degrade. Not sure what the type of fungus is, reminded me of Southern Bracket fungus, but hard to tell as it had turned such a black colour.

Some info from the English Heritage Page:
Compton Martin Ochre Mine is of national significance and provides the best example of ochre mineralisation in the Mendip area, one of the most important mineralogical provinces in Britain. Apart from the intrinsic mineralogical importance of the site and its relevance to future research and study, it also provides detailed evidence of the environmental conditions prevailing in the Mendip area during late Triassic times which enables geologists to develop a better understanding of the geological evolution of southern Britain.

Having only ever visited 2 mines I was a little on edge with the stacked deads all over the place, and rotting props, you really did need to move very carefully in the cave, one false hand or foot placing and things could fall on you.

Duncan spent a significant amount of time helping me set up shots, and light photos. I took away quite a bit of info which I didn't know before, and was really grateful for his help.

Jon thankfully knew the mine well so I didn't have the embarrassment of getting us lost & Jon spent time locating the one shot hole in the mine which he'd wanted to show us, he also took time to point out the yellow Ochre deposits.

We left the mine with Duncan vowing to return & a very slippery return descent, most of which was done on my bum. Rounded off the evening at the Ring O Bell's pub for some non pheasant tasting crisps and drinks.  :beer2:

Offline Duncan S

• forum star
  • WCC, BEC, FCS
    • My Caving Flickr
Re: 9/11/15 - Compton Martin Ochre Mine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 07:52:03 pm »
Fantastic trip report and a lovely set of photos!
Jonathan managed to transfer bright red/orange mud from his gloves onto the band inside his helmet. He looked absolutely spectacular!
He managed to wash the worst of it off in the pub toilets, but I'm intrigued to know if it was visible the next day under bright lights. That stuff really stains :)

Online mrdetail

• addict
  • WCC, B&DCC, CCOO
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 08:29:13 pm »
Only the commando stripes remained.  ::)
go easy

Offline nice but damp

• player
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 08:59:30 pm »
Not sure what the type of fungus is, reminded me of Southern Bracket fungus, but hard to tell as it had turned such a black colour

Great fungal growths are always abound on old props.......Old workings like this will have a fair amount of Serpula lacrymans ( AKA Dry Rot) around, which I think is probably what this is (without having an up close look), as opposed to Ganoderma Australe......AFAIK, most, if not all of the Ganoderma's need 'live' wood to grow on.  :)

Tim

Offline dave_the_cave

• obsessive maniac
    • dave_the_cave's blog
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »
Some great photos ruth

On Facebook I would be clicking like on them!

Offline nice but damp

• player
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:44 pm »
Yes, Definitely agree with Dave The Cave, if only we had a like button!

great photo's  :)

Tim

Offline chunky

• obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:25:55 am »

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:52:37 pm »
Not sure what the type of fungus is, reminded me of Southern Bracket fungus, but hard to tell as it had turned such a black colour

Great fungal growths are always abound on old props.......Old workings like this will have a fair amount of Serpula lacrymans ( AKA Dry Rot) around, which I think is probably what this is (without having an up close look), as opposed to Ganoderma Australe......AFAIK, most, if not all of the Ganoderma's need 'live' wood to grow on.  :)

Tim
Thanks, my tendancy to avoid mines mean's I've not really seem this before