Author Topic: Wednesday 15th Loxton Cave & Loxton Quarry Cave  (Read 1023 times)

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
Wednesday 15th Loxton Cave & Loxton Quarry Cave
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:54:54 pm »
Attendees Ian, Tim, Steve, Jon & Ruth

A nice easy trip was decided for this week, with club members mulling over whether they'd ever visited a grade 2 cave from Mendip Underground before. I wanted to get some unusual snaps possibly to use for the Mendip photography comp. Thankfully the quarry parking area was dry, so there wasn't the possible threat of getting stuck in the mud.

I got my kit out and realised I'd picked up 2 right foot wellies, which is bad enough in itself, but one was my daughters 3 sizes smaller boot which wouldn't even go on my foot. I debated caving in just a wet sock, but Steve kindly lent me his trainer which was sturdier that the shoes I'd worn to caving. I am now a club contender for the wooden spoon of shame.

It was Ian's first trip with the club, and he immediately got stuck into digging out the entrance to Loxton Cave (not to be confused with the closed Loxton Caven) as it was blocked with mud & stick debris. Thankfully the CSCC key opened the padlock and we had a good explore of the cave. It really would have been a very short trip had I not held everyone up taking photos.

Tissue Moth

Dr Who Esq Wormholes

Highlight was probably the small chamber with the Stal which is spurting water - it was doing it 2-3 years ago when I last visited

We did endeavor to climb out the second entrance, but the lock was jammed (we tried it after from the other side but it wouldn't budge). I spent some time trying to find the cave pearls in this chamber as I was sure there had been some there before. I the end I found 2 in a small puddle, but I am sure there was far more unless I've mistaken it for another chamber.

Plenty of spiders in the shaft..

Once back at the carpark we had quick look in the Quarry cave which was just a walk in and out really, we did find a rather nice Herald Moth in there.

Shame

We ended the trip in The White Heart? in Cross which had no rolls on offer much to Jon's disappointment, the loud rock music was a bit of a change to the Hunters!  :beer2:

Online rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
Re: Wednesday 15th Loxton Cave & Loxton Quarry Cave
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:18 pm »
Oh dear, no scale  :o

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:22:44 am »
Oh dear, no scale  :o

It really is getting boring now.

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:37:28 am »
Lovely photos. Do you think you are ready for a grade 3 cave yet?

Offline Maj

• forum star
  • MNRC, ATLAS, CPC.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:08 am »
Confucius say "War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left."

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:13:35 am »
Lovely photos. Do you think you are ready for a grade 3 cave yet?

Manor Farm hopefully next week, slightly harder ;)