Morning!

Screw Loose

Morning all!

Myself and a couple friends have recently started exploring mines (mainly rampgill in Nenthead) pushing further and further each time with a couple more experienced cavers.

Its definitely something I'm enjoying quite a bit, however I'm struggling to find any north east based caving clubs (other than Durham and Yorkshire way).

Obviously with me just starting out theres lots to learn so I've been reading and researching where I can, but I'm guessing caving clubs are the best way to actually "learn the ropes" so to speak?

Anyway this was more of an intro than anything, always a bit awkward being the new kid on the block!

-Liam

Goydenman

Good to hear you are getting the exploring bug....and good idea to look for others that do it to learn more. I?m sure people will post replies that tell you about clubs near to you. WELCOME.

andys

To really explore Rampgill, you'll need to use ropes and, since your lives may well depend upon it, you'll need to learn to use them safely. So deffo join a club, since the best way to learn is the one-to-one instruction (and cross-checking) that you'll get along the way.....

Have fun but stay safe!

PeteHall

Hi Liam,

Welcome to UK Caving!

Unfortunately (in some respects at any rate) I am no longer based int he north east, but I do still know folks in the area. Feel free to drop me a PM and I may be able to make some local introductions or steer you towards some decent local trips.

That said, it's really not far down to the Yorkshire Dales. Local stuff is great for weekday evenings, but you'll be in the best caving region in the country within an hour and a half, with dozens of clubs and any variety of caves to suit your experience/ desires!

Screw Loose

Thank's all, I hadn't found that site and I'll be reaching out to a club as soon as I'm not working nights (roll on monday) so thankyou Jason.

I've got a very good friend who used to be an IRATA instructor so he's promised to teach me a few things so I'm confident (to an extent) and hopefulyl that will give me a decent grounding for when I find a caving club and they can teach me the techniques specific to caving.

I've seen lots on Rampgill and its lower levels so I'm definitely hoping to return once I'm confident on the ropes and I can then explore it further.

I've heard rumours that it stretches out for a couple of miles, is it still passable that for or is it collapsed off once you hit a certain point?
I know my biggest fear is a collapse whilst in there, I imagine its unlikely though (or at least I hope)?

Pete thankyou very much for the kind offer, I'll drop you a PM just now.

Thanks again,
Liam

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Quite a few clubs listed here https://newtocaving.com/ if you haven't already seen it.

andys

Screw Loose said:
...................I've heard rumours that it stretches out for a couple of miles, is it still passable that for or is it collapsed off once you hit a certain point?
I know my biggest fear is a collapse whilst in there, I imagine its unlikely though (or at least I hope)?...............
Rampgill is indeed extensive, and is also on multiple levels, but it is also just one of the mines that you pass through (without exiting) if you tackle what is popularly called the Greater Nenthead Traverse. Rampgill links both upwards into Smallcleugh and downward into Brownley Hill. And those two also each link onward to others. So it is possible to enter at Caplecleugh (which is the entrance you can see just across the stream from Rampgill's portal) and exit several hours later at Haggs (which is beside the road on the way from Nenthead down to Alston). Its definitely worth joining with others who know the route before you tackle something that extensive but there really are hours and hours worth of fun to be had in there. Have you tried the Mine Explorer website? http://www.mineexplorer.org.uk/index.htm

PeteHall

Personally, I would thoroughly recommend getting to know the various links of that trip before even contemplating the full traverse, even if going with folks who know the way. There is a huge amount to explore in Nent and you'll miss a lot by just following someone on a long trip.

Screw Loose

Thanks gents that's some pretty amazing information right there, I wasn't aware they linked together so extensively. I think I need to consider meeting with some more experienced folk, especially to explore the cave side. I'm quite keen to explore the caves rather than the mines however slightly terrified in the same respect.

Any advice on where to head first? Is there any sort of etiquette involved in trying to get "in" with a caving club?

Cheers again,
Liam

andys

Liam - Our club is heading up to Nenthead for a weekend at the end of Jan. I'm sure they'd be happy to take you along if you wanted. PM me if you'd like more details.