Looking for a novice cave in the Brecon Beacons

F

farmergiles

Hi There,

Going to the Brecon Beacons this weekend. Can anyone suggest a cave to do that is OK to take novices down. Wont have any ropes or ladders with me so it needs to be a pretty easy introductory cave.

Cheers

Giles.

rich

Llygad Llwchwr, Bridge Cave (check access on that one), Porth yr Ogof (might be rammed though, and make sure you read the warning signs), and Ogof Clogwyn are all good. You shouldn't need any tackle for those four.

AndyF

Yep those are all suitbale, but I'd probably go for Bridge (subject to the access). You can't really come to grief in it, and it is really quite impressive in parts.

Porth-yr-ogof is great, but has some risks and can put off a party if they get wet and cold very quickly. I wouldn't recommend it unless you know the cave yourself

L

Limestone_Cowboy

There is also Ogof Pen Eyre, not sure of spelling?, at the left hand end of the llangattock escarpment. It needs no gear but does have some fun little squeezes including a lovely corkscrew through a flowstone blockage.

rich

Limestone_Cowboy said:
There is also Ogof Pen Eyre, not sure of spelling?, at the left hand end of the llangattock escarpment. It needs no gear but does have some fun little squeezes including a lovely corkscrew through a flowstone blockage.

Ogof Pen Eryr. Might be a bit of a short trip if you have keen beginners but you could also do Eglwys Faen towards the other end of the escarpment.

Peter Burgess

What's the situation with Pwll y Rhyd and White Lady Cave? If you are going to Bridge Cave then these two are also worth going to see, and don't take very long. A long time since I was there, so not sure about access. :confused:

zomjon

i would endorse Rich's reccommendations; the corkscrew in Ogof Pen Eryr providing a fun challenge and Eglwys Faen, a rabbit warren of friendly sand floored crawling passages. You can always shock with a nose in the entrance to Daren!

F

farmergiles

Thanks for those.
I think I'll take em and have look around Eglwys Faen and or Ogof Pen Eryr. I now have myself a copy caves of South Wales. Is there any change to access for those two caves since the book was published.

Les W

I believe the access is wide open on both these - just do them - however a cautionary word here is probably not amiss, mind the cars, the car park at Daren used to be a favourite thieves spot  :eek:

don't know if it still is  :-\

also take care parking in the village it's self, ask at the Chelsea hut for the best advice.  ;)

damian

Les is right. The Car Park is a bit dodgy with thieves, so leave nothing obvious. If you've not been before, to reach Pen Eryr you basically walk straight up from the car park. It's a lovely cave but more committing than Eglwys Faen. I would, therefore, do Eglwys Faen first then Pen Eryr if they're up for it. Have your lunch at the car park and you'll be able to ptotect your car! To get to Eglwys Faen, go from the car park back down to the road, follow the road past a few cottages and the Chelsea Hut around the big corner and you will see Eglwys Faen at the next major corner.

Have a good trip.

Les W

If you ask nicely at the Chelsea cottage (Whitewalls) they may allow you to park outside their cottage (MUCH SAFER than the car park) ;)