What should be brought out?

Simon Wilson

Can anything left in a cave be considered to be an artifact? On what grounds could that happen? Does age alone make something an artifact?

rhychydwr1

As a biologist I would be reluctant to remove any organic material as it might contain cave animals.

Simon Wilson

rhychydwr1 said:
As a biologist I would be reluctant to remove any organic material as it might contain cave animals.

So if there is an old abandoned caver's bivouac with mouldy food remains, rotting woolen clothing, cotton/feather sleeping bags and canvas bags it should all be left as it is?

graham

Simon Wilson said:
rhychydwr1 said:

So if there is an old abandoned caver's bivouac with mouldy food remains, rotting woolen clothing, cotton/feather sleeping bags and canvas bags it should all be left as it is?

That point is rather more moot than you might think, Simon.

I can certainly think of an instance of a cave which was held to be rather polluted by farmyard waste was a short distance upstream of a a stream cave that held a noted population of cavernicoles. OK, maybe the stuff should not have been there in the first place but once it has had an influence on its surroundings, the effects of removal can be as profound as the effects of leaving it.

As with all questions of conservation, it depends what you want to achieve.

Simon Wilson

I don't understand how removing it can be anything other than beneficial but I know very little about cave biology. Someone would have to explain it.

Anyway, let me give a more specific question.

When we re-climbed into Lost Pot a few years ago we found an old battered helmet at the scene of Jim Newton's near-fatal accident. I found that interesting and left it just as it was. There are also other things discarded at the time of the rescue. Should they be removed?

http://caving-library.org.uk/catalogue/BCL/code/php/library.php?action=search&lib=&type=any&search=title&search_string=Part%203%20-%20An%20horrific%20accident%20in%20Lost%20Pot&title=Part%203%20-%20An%20horrific%20accident%20in%20Lost%20Pot&orig=Jim%20Newton

graham

The simple answer is that I don't know. I don't know the site, I don't know the items and I don't know, therefore, what the effects of removal might be.

I would always approach such issues on a case by case basis and my first thought would always be "What are we trying to achieve here?"

Another 'for instance' In one cave I know, there is a fixed aid that some consider unsightly and would wish removed, possibly to be replaced by a handline fixed to a bolt which would, they think, be rather more discreet. However, it is almost certainly the case that removal of the aid would result in significantly more abrasion, wear and tear, of the calcite surface beneath.

rhychydwr1

Simon Wilson said:
rhychydwr1 said:

Yes.

droid

Simon: Mouldy old remains might be unsightly trash to you, but to a cave animal, its food, shelter, and its entire existance.

Insert apostrophes as neccessary. I don't get apostrophes.

JasonC

droid said:
Simon: Mouldy old remains might be unsightly trash to you, but to a cave animal, its food, shelter, and its entire existance.

Insert apostrophes as neccessary. I don't get apostrophes.

I'd still take my hat off to anyone who dragged a decomposing sheep out of a cave, no matter how much other cave life it was home to.
I think Simon's comment that the helmet was interesting is relevant.  Discarded batteries, old sandwiches, tatty bits of rope are rarely interesting, nor for my money are woodlice, but other things might be.  A matter of opinion, of course....

(btw, your post was apostrophised perfectly, although 'neccessary' has an unnecessary 'c' )

Chocolate fireguard

Bottlebank said:
And potentially

.... that container of crap the Badgers offered to bring out of Nettle Pot.  http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17705.0 

perhaps should have been left where it was?

I know many archaeological digs take place on old rubbish dumps - are we also depriving archaeologists of the future by cleaning things up?

Many mining artifacts are only a few decades old.

This is a very useful thread: the niceties of cave conservation have always confused me but now it's becoming clearer.

When I dragged those 2 ammo boxes of REAL crap out of White River, Peak/Speedwell, last year I was committing an act of vandalism, not an act of cave conservation.
The hundreds (thousands?) of cavers who had left them there over nearly 2 decades had recognised their growing importance as artifacts.

Sorry folks, all I can say in my defence is that it was well-intentioned.

graham

I'm not sure that I understand, but are you saying that someone had a crap in White River Series and it was still identifiable and removable 20 years later?

That, if true, says quite a lot about the energy level of environment in that particular piece of cave passage.

Pitlamp

This is an interesting topic - clearly there may often be an element of doubt about whether any particular items should be removed or not. To try and summarise the various comments made to this effect, it seems that reasons for NOT removing something may be:

1. you can't immediately be sure it's not required as part of someone's project.

2. you may be adversely affecting a potential archaeological resource.

3. you may adversely affect the biological value of the cave.

So, if there is this doubt, it follows that the slogan being bandied about ("If in doubt, bring it out") is potentially damaging. Really, nothing should be interfered with unless you're absolutely certain that removal is the right thing to do.

Perhaps a more meaningful ethos might be "If in doubt - find out, before bringing anything out". This would be the only truly responsible approach. (I suspect it's more in alignment with the fine print in legislation on SSSIs as well.)

I make no apology for once again expressing my broad support for this initiative - but I think the original slogan should be abandoned as it's far too simplistic and may cause more problems than it aims to solve.

Chocolate fireguard

graham said:
I'm not sure that I understand, but are you saying that someone had a crap in White River Series and it was still identifiable and removable 20 years later?

That, if true, says quite a lot about the energy level of environment in that particular piece of cave passage.

For years there were 2 ammo boxes up in White River, opposite the entrance to Watt Passage.
The word in local caving circles was that they contained crap.
When we took the lids off we found plastic bags which seemed to contain stuff of the correct consistency.
Dragging the first along Watt Passage went without incident.
The second one leaked. Only a bit, but enough for the nature of the contents to be obvious to me and others.

graham

Chocolate fireguard said:
graham said:

For years there were 2 ammo boxes up in White River, opposite the entrance to Watt Passage.
The word in local caving circles was that they contained crap.
When we took the lids off we found plastic bags which seemed to contain stuff of the correct consistency.
Dragging the first along Watt Passage went without incident.
The second one leaked. Only a bit, but enough for the nature of the contents to be obvious to me and others.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. It makes perfect sense that you took these things out. The ecological niche that i referred to was clearly inside the boxes and separate from the cave passage. You knew that they'd been there for a considerable time. No-one would, I think, argue that a couple of boxes in a fairly recently discovered section of cave constituted something of archaeological significance ammo cans ghardly indicate prior entry by T'owd Man. The purpose of a sealed box of this nature is to prevent its contents interacting with the environment and the contents were quite obviously not going to be of use anywhere else in the cave even before your conclusion as to what they were became fully apparent. Shame that one of the cans leaked, possibly bringing them out whilst wrapped in something else would have been preferable but almost anything can be done better in hindsight.

Nope, no problem with this one.

Peter Burgess

Old crap underground is interesting. What appears to be centuries old quarrymen's droppings in an old underground quarry, on closer inspection, seem to contain things like remains of insects and small mammals. Quarrymen used to eat some weird stuff! But in 200 years time will anybody want to know what the average caver used to eat back in the old days?

cavermark

I'm sure you can still find out what the White River explorers liked to eat without analyzing their poo - just ask them! 

As for 200 years time - aren't there several threads on here about what people like to eat underground... save them somewhere?

graham

cavermark said:
I'm sure you can still find out what the White River explorers liked to eat without analyzing their poo - just ask them! 

As for 200 years time - aren't there several threads on here about what people like to eat underground... save them somewhere?

That is a large part of the point I was trying to make. Archaeology can supplement and even contradict history but works best when the history cannot be recovered any other way.