POLL: Best sound bite for Cave Conservation Rewards?

Which slogan should be used for the Cave Conservation Rewards?

• If in doubt, bring it out?

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • If in doubt, disturb nowt.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Rubbish found? Take it above ground.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Garbage spied, take it outside.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Waste discovered, must be recovered!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If in no doubt, bring it out. If in doubt, find out.

• The one I've posted below.

• Rubbish about? Bring it out!

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

Bottlebank

Of the slogans listed I prefer "If in no doubt, bring it out. If in doubt, find out." so add one to that vote.

I've a habit of saying what I think on here, so at the risk of ruffling a few feathers here I go again.

I can't think of a better line than the one we've had for nearly forty years and which sends exactly the right message - "Adopt-A-Cave"

This is not a plug for maintaining the status quo, whilst I totally agree with the intention of this campaign I'd like to see it's efforts and rewards refocused behind the Adopt-A-Cave scheme, helping grow and re-invigorate it, with the eventual aim of covering every UK cave.

I can't help feeling that with such a limited pool of volunteers it makes no sense to try and run two separate schemes.

http://www.wildplaces.co.uk/content/18-adopt-a-cave

bograt

Tend to agree with you Bottlebank, problem is the passage of time, how many new members of these clubs are aware that their club adopted a cave way back then? for instance, have there been any postings from 'Darkside CMC.' on the related Carlswark thread?.

cavermark

Would the forum be the perfect place to administer the adopt a cave scheme?
Ie. See which caves are being actively looked after and reallocate some that aren't?
(I know that wasn't a very catchy slogan btw  ;) )

Inferus

cavermark said:
Would the forum be the perfect place to administer the adopt a cave scheme?
Ie. See which caves are being actively looked after and reallocate some that aren't?
(I know that wasn't a very catchy slogan btw  ;) )
I've only quoted cavermark as the last reply regarding Adopt-a-cave (herein: AAC).

AAC is a fine idea but rather limited in scope.
There are far more caves that need looking after than there are clubs. A quick look at the AAC page on the Wildplaces (Descent) website shows 151 sites adopted by 110 clubs. It's fair to say I've never heard of a few of those clubs and I wonder if some are even still active. Do those that are still active make regular visits to their adopted caves?

It's good that clubs would choose to adopt a particular cave and it would be hoped that those caves are kept clean or cleaner than others. But it goes well beyond looking after just one cave - it should be whatever cave you visit: take out what you bring in, take out obvious rubbish or highlighting perceived rubbish on a forum to check before removal (or encourage/shame those that left it to remove it!)

How about this for a slogan: Adopt a cave to clear of shit? That'll be every cave I visit..

mikem

At least the current slogan has done it's job of getting people to talk about & actually do some conservation work...

Mike

Simon Wilson

...if in doubt find out?  That's total crap.

If people leave stuff littering a cave that looks like junk and they haven't done anything to indicate that they want it left alone then they should expect to lose it. People need to start taking more responsibility for the junk that they take into caves. If they leave stuff behind without doing anything to indicate that they are coming back to it and if it is then removed against their wishes it might make them act more responsibly in the future. Telling people that they have to "find out" is an abdication of responsibility. Trying to force the responsibility onto the people wanting to see the litter removed is selfish.

My suggested slogan is: If you find stuff in a cave that looks as though it is abandoned and there is nothing indicating otherwise, use common sense and if you have the capacity to do so, remove it from the cave and dispose of it in a responsible way; the vast majority of cavers will be grateful.

How can I phrase that in a more concise way? Oh! It's already been done - If in doubt, bring it out.

Antwan

Simon Wilson said:
Telling people that they have to "find out" is an abdication of responsibility. Trying to force the responsibility onto the people wanting to see the litter removed is selfish.

(y)

If items are left for some purpose or other, then a little bit of a laminated card stating the intentions of whoever leaves it and contact details wont be any more out of place than a pile of digging buckets or dive base kit. (the laminated 'Entrance sign' in WICC for the olympic stroll end is a good example)

Pitlamp

On a separate note, I just noticed this:

Simon Wilson said:
...if in doubt find out?  That's total crap.

If people leave stuff littering a cave that looks like junk and they haven't done anything to indicate that they want it left alone then they should expect to lose it. People need to start taking more responsibility for the junk that they take into caves. If they leave stuff behind without doing anything to indicate that they are coming back to it and if it is then removed against their wishes it might make them act more responsibly in the future. Telling people that they have to "find out" is an abdication of responsibility. Trying to force the responsibility onto the people wanting to see the litter removed is selfish.

My suggested slogan is: If you find stuff in a cave that looks as though it is abandoned and there is nothing indicating otherwise, use common sense and if you have the capacity to do so, remove it from the cave and dispose of it in a responsible way; the vast majority of cavers will be grateful.

How can I phrase that in a more concise way? Oh! It's already been done - If in doubt, bring it out.

(Sigh) - Simon, I'm not sure you really understand why some cavers find that slogan inappropriate. I'll try to explain further, using examples.

If you saw a tatty old Mars Bar wrapper on the floor of a relict high level passage, I doubt anyone would disagree it should be removed. You'd be in no doubt, so obviously you'd take it out (as, of course, would I).

Suppose, though, you came across a digging tub with a rope stacked neatly in it, in a corner of the passage, near some boulders with fresh looking scratches on them. This would suggest it's a legitimate and active project. You'd probably have considerable doubt in that case about interfering and the reasonable thing to do would be to make at least some effort to find out first.

There is a whole spectrum of different circumstances in between.

Also, suppose a caving party had come across something interesting on a trip the day before your visit, had decided to start some work and left some items there - but hadn't had the materials with them to produce an adequate sign? What if a group of diggers had produced an explanatory sign and some numpty had been mucking about and removed it, unbeknown to the diggers concerned? What if we're talking about a piece of rope on a climb used to access a dig regularly and a well meaning conservationist removes this without asking when people relying on it are beyond? You could inadvertently cause a serious accident. I could give many other examples of situations where that slogan would be totally inappropriate but hopefully the above will serve to make the point.

One of the things I've learned about politics (whether national or speleological) is "beware the confident person who appears to have the easy answer". Life is rarely that simple.

Your post above seems to disregard the considered opinions of a number of concerned cavers who are at least as experienced as you. Is it really wise to fail to take these opinions into account and describe them as "total crap" if you want to win people over to your cause?

There is plenty of certain rubbish to be dealing with in our caves before starting to worry about items which you could easily be wrong about. So why not just get on with clearing that out (as many of us already do) and, in cases where there may be doubt, don't mess with it. That stuff can perhaps be looked at in the fullness of time once all the certain rubbish has been dealt with. But surely the certain rubbish should be the first priority?

If there is doubt you should keep your fingers to yourself. If there isn't doubt then clear it out (and I'll be one of the first to say "well done"). This is why some of us object so strongly to that slogan as it gives completely the wrong message. Indeed a slogan is unnecessary anyway. Let's just get on with looking after our caves sensitively and intelligently, without following wrong advice in a few words which conveniently happen to rhyme.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It is only a slogan for goodness sake.  Thousands of campaigns and initiatives use them.  It has every good intention of improving the condition of our caves, where there is clearly a lot of old rubbish that needs to be removed. Being so pedantic  over its interpretation is not going help clean up the caves.  Many people do support both the scheme and the slogan but the repeated negativity of some posts will affect the number of cavers who wish to get involved.  Other keen, conservation minded cavers are very disappointed that an initiative designed to improve caves is getting derailed by a war between the pedants. 
Sometimes I wonder why I bother o_O

Bottlebank

Badlad said:
It is only a slogan for goodness sake.  Thousands of campaigns and initiatives use them.  It has every good intention of improving the condition of our caves, where there is clearly a lot of old rubbish that needs to be removed. Being so pedantic  over its interpretation is not going help clean up the caves.  Many people do support both the scheme and the slogan but the repeated negativity of some posts will affect the number of cavers who wish to get involved.  Other keen, conservation minded cavers are very disappointed that an initiative designed to improve caves is getting derailed by a war between the pedants. 

I've learnt over the years when I come up with what I think is a good idea it pays to listen hard to the people who don't agree with me, especially those that like the concept but are critical of some details. Listening to people who agree with me 100% may be ego boosting, but I don't learn anything from it.

This is a forum, and it's natural that debate takes place here. The campaign slogan sends the message of the campaign and if you want everyone to support it you need to get it right.

If you choose to see criticism, especially carefully considered criticism from people like Pitlamp, as "negative" or a "war between pedants" then I suggest you need to rethink your approach. Don't insult our intelligence - we're may indeed be wasting our time adding our thoughts to debates on here but for the most part people do it because they care about the subject - caves and caving are more important than your vanity.

Almost every critic of your catchphrase, and comments about digging or conservation concerns, from me and others, have been prefaced with support for the basic idea. If there's a risk of derailment it stems from your refusal to take that criticism on board. None of us want caves full of crap or abandoned digging gear. Every comment on here is from people who share your view on that.

It's only two and half years since you yourself had a problem with someone moving your digging gear in Boxhead without permission yet now you're encouraging other people to do the same, and yet you seem surprised that we don't agree with you?

Pitlamp

Badlad said:

There is no "war", old chap. Just read my post above again - maybe slightly more carefully. As I've pointed out several times, no-one wants to "derail" a good initiative. We're very much on the same side (if there are any "sides").

That slogan means something very different from what most of us want - so this is not idle pedantry.

But I'll take you at your word: "It's only a slogan, for goodness sake." If you don't see it as especially important then why object to changing it to get it right? Then we can ALL give you 100% support rather than almost 100% support.  :)