Deliberate damage at Browns Folly Mine / Farleigh Down Quarry

Brains

Shaker Browns ferret cage in June 2007
12400459_337055999751632_3322287572378568987_n.jpg

...and again in Jan 2016 Note the door fragments and locking stone.
12509081_337055673084998_5086101103496474603_n.jpg

For anyone not aware, this is recent photo of Stone Ferret Cage as left by the self-described "Belper Bastards" (who are the angle grinder crew that destroyed and removed Shakespeares gate at the Christmas Rave). The gate has now been replaced.

It had previously (Dec15) been firework bombed coating the inside with human shit and had part of the carved door runners deliberately broken out. That was during the Christmas rave party by same crew and their guests.

This was how it was found after a recent weekend long stay sleepover by a team of vandals who are not novices but experienced with going underground. (Jan 16)

Since 2007 it had a new (replica) stone door made with a locking piece to go in the slot. Later that door was spray painted all over red and inside the ferret cage also red. Eventually yet another door was made and fitted which vandals have smashed. There is no plan to attempt any restoration because clearly these vandals will repeat their destruction again

Somebody knows who these people are, and are condoning their behaviour by silence. What possible reasoning can there be for this detruction of historical features. IF they are on here - or wish to submit an answer namelessly, I would be curious to know the justification

Brains

Square well, damaged and drained
12573873_337064936417405_7206972389711716084_n.jpg

Some of the litter left behind
12540651_337064933084072_5678156756824836204_n.jpg

More litter, bet the bats enjoyed this lot - must have been some bad air
12573975_337064963084069_7644210880362052050_n.jpg

Found on the web, near square well showing graff that wasnt there before the rave, and cleaned off just after. The air quality looks less than fine!
12495025_337064943084071_2586587279435817496_n.jpg

Speleokitty1

I don't think I can ever understand people like this. They cause damage because "they can" and don't care about anyone else. This kind of act not only endangers access to this sites but by others by association.

If I was the owner I would be thinking of sealing the entrances using reinforced concrete.

Brains

Most of the entrances are controlled by Avon Wildlife Trust as the site is an internationally recognised bat roost / hibernaculum, and should be grilled and locked. Two (at least...) other entrances are on a different owners land and are open. The gates are regularly cut with angle grinders etc

(This is an old quarry and is not on access land so CRoW isnt an issue...)

cap n chris

Brains said:
... the site is an internationally recognised bat roost / hibernaculum, and should be grilled and locked.

Based on the photos, I couldn't agree more. Sooner done, the better.

Brains

Perhaps those who can could repost this to Aditnow or Darkplaces, etc. in an attempt to shame the guilty into stopping?

crickleymal

I saw that on Jan 2nd. Plus an abandoned sleeping bag and toilet paper on the floor in a chamber near the Devil's Chamber. There was also mould covering something on the way to the Square Well/Tank near the Ferret Cage which didn't look too pleasant either.

bagpuss

Visited for the second time ever a few days ago,  was impressed with the huge amount of work that has gone into keeping the place tidy. Saw some of the vandalism and destruction too including lots of human excrement,  more fire works which we removed,  and damage to stone features.  It's really sad that there seems little that can done.

popeass1

I'm a regular visitor, and these attacks are getting more and more extreme In terms of damage caused. It needs to stop, and if anyone knows who's doing this, they need to have a serious word with them.

Brains

:( I cant see it at all (blocked from that bit of FB), was given the links. Apparently debate along the lines of it is the caretakers fault for stopping the urbex crowd breaking into the storage company adjoining the abandoned workings, and keeping it clean. it appears they are trying to get the place sealed so they can break and enter the storage unit in peace, and live in shit and rubbish as that is what an abandoned site should be.... The bats and historical details are of zero worth to them

Wayland Smith

I would suspect that most of the people in that photograph have just gone to a party that happened to be underground.
They will have no interest or knowledge of the history or wildlife.
To that group it was just another party.
That is not a group of urbexers who are in there to "get" Brian.

Probably even more risk of injury to a group like that!

Wayland Smith

By the way, before someone flames me!
Not condoning them or anyone damaging mines or caves.  :eek:
Just pointing out who I think that group are.

Brains

Wayland Smith said:
I would suspect that most of the people in that photograph have just gone to a party that happened to be underground.
They will have no interest or knowledge of the history or wildlife.
To that group it was just another party.
That is not a group of urbexers who are in there to "get" Brian.

Probably even more risk of injury to a group like that!
Some of them may just be party goers, but during the event significant vandalism was done, from graf, smoke flares and fireworks, to shitting everywhere and leaving piles of litter. Break in attempts to Restore also occured during the rave. Hang around with moronic yobs and it is very hard to spot the difference.