Students lost in Ireland

R

RM

3 of us from SUSS are going to ireland for the student caving forum. Any ideas of good fun trips etc. we should do, and wheres good to stay/ drink?

AndyF

There is a good guide for Fermanagh around in caving shops, there is also a County Clare guid, if you can get a copy...

Both are great areas...

graham

AndyF said:
...there is also a County Clare guid, if you can get a copy....

Available from all good caving shops or direct from UBSS. See http://www.ubss.org.uk/cocc_index.php

cap n chris

... and cheap at twice the price. Well, it would be too cheap at half the price since it's actually quite cheap at the normal price.

I'll get me coat.... :oops:

AndyF

graham said:
AndyF said:
...there is also a County Clare guid, if you can get a copy....

Available from all good caving shops or direct from UBSS. See http://www.ubss.org.uk/cocc_index.php

Ahh, a new edition, that shows what an old fart I am..

If it anything like the old one, then it's a must... I bought a copy of the old one and I haven't even been there LOL.

Les W

Whilst I am not trying to talk you out of the latest Caves of County Clare and South Galway (and a fine tome it is) I would point out that the student caving forum appears to be in Fermanagh this year.

http://quis.qub.ac.uk/caving/scf2006/

So unless you are intending on staying over for a while, you are unlikely to find your way south to Clare. (which is a shame as it is gods country for caving, and traditional Irish music, Oh and Guinness) :)

cap n chris

Of course, as a caver who actually likes being underground, I wouldn't bother doing anything involving students and weekends since as we all know, the only topics under investigation are drunkeness, nudity, poverty and talking nonsense. (This is my prejudice; this is my nightmare).

S

Steve

Doolin. Tons of caving around, a couple of cheap bunkhouse type places, and loads of traditional irish music pubs.
Perfect.

Steve.

T

tubby two

yeah, if you've got the time head down to clare, some brilliant caving to be had. I think selected caves would give you enough info for the best but the UBSS book is an excellent guide/ reference. If i recall correctly doolin to st catherines, poulnagollum to poulelva, coolagh river cave an poll na g ciem were all fantastic. But then so were all the others we did. Its also home to some sensational limestone climbing, i think there was a recent article on planetfear.com, however when i went i had no kit, but the cliffs did look rather tempting in the sunshine.
As for fermanage, never been and the only people i know that have spent a week watching caves flood! Does sound good tho, i guess the isish should be able to point you to the good stuff in their own back yard.

tt.

A

andymorgan

cap 'n chris said:
Hmm, sounds a bit like a CSCC meeting without clothes on.

A big difference though, a CSCC meeting without clothes would be horrendous... :LOL:

graham

tubby two said:
As for Fermanagh, never been and the only people I know that have spent a week watching caves flood!

They must have there the week after SUICRO last year - same time as us! :(

ianball11

There are a number of us going from Huddersfield and from Manchester, we'll meet you there. Fermanagh has some great great caving so I'd save Doolin for a second trip.

If you can get yourselves on a trip down Noones, Marble Arch and Prods.

Ian B.

Stevo

I'm probably a bit biased however I would thoroughly recommend caving in Fermanagh. The Irish student forum (unlike the UK student forum) is mainly based around actually going caving (the drinking is saved for the nighttime) There are some great caves combining Yorkshire style potholes with South Wales style passageway. Of course we like to keep it all to ourselves (we're a greedy bunch) but occasionally we do point other people in the right directions.

T

tubby two

The Irish student forum (unlike the UK student forum) is mainly based around actually going caving

Cheeky, cheeky :eek:)

I'll bet you a tenner that us english students do more caving in england than you irish do.

Maybe we need a drinking competition to find out who's best at caving. Everyone knows the two are closely related, right?

tt.

L

lauraw

http://quis.qub.ac.uk/caving/scf2006/
Just email the guys and they'll give you all the info about the accomodation. As far as I know the Caves of Fermanagh and Cavan will be on sale from someone during the forum just ask!

Fermanagh has some great caving...
Marble Arch and Boho cave are good horizontal trips. Cascades especially is a great trip if you get the weather and also manage to find your way past the entrance series.
Noones hole and Prods pot are both top. Bit of SRT at the start and some nice passage to look at when you get down.

Wish I was going now :?

Laura

L

lauraw

ianball11 said:
Bit of SRT is a strange way to describe Noons and Prods.

Ian B.

I suppose Noones with an 85m pothole could be considered more than a bit :D
And shhhhhh don't tell people about the 5th pitch in Prods!

Ian Ball, are you a Hudderfield Uni caver? Think I was caving with you and Mike in Yorkshire about two years ago. Went to GG main chamber via Bar pot. Are you guys over this year?

Laura