County Fermanagh caving

bazdog

Hi, I'm trying to organise a long weekend in Ireland in May and am after some accomadation. The Aghnahoo hut is mentioned on the SUI website but I can't find any info on it. Does any one know if you can book it or is it more of a bothy type place. Thanks for any help.

Les W

I suggest you contact the SUI committee direct (unless one of them posts here of course) I don't personally know about it's use but I reckon it will probably be OK if you cross somebodies palm with some good hard currency (so obviously not Euro, Dollars or Sterling then...    :cry:
...perhaps Malasian Dong will be OK though)  ;)

paulf

We stayed in the newly refurbished YHA in Enniskillen in 2006 which cost cost ?13 per night then with ensuite (y)
It was about 40Min's to most of the Caves  (y) & Great for a Chinese & a Beer  :beer:

G

ging

Hey Bazdog,

Two of the best places to stay would be either Aghnahoo or the Scout Hut.
Both places are used by college clubs for trips with the scout having (better) facilities.

MUSC and Hudersfield Uni Caving clubs stayed in the scout hut at easter.

Both places are within walking distance to Marble Arch Showcaves and the nearby caves on the Marlbank Scenic Loop.

If you pm me I will forward you on contact details for Aghnahoo if you like.

mandypoo

The website for the scout hut is here: http://www.cladaghglen.com/
I thoroughly recommend it we had an ace time last year! Plenty of bunk space (maybe 20?) but don't need to worry about filling the entire place as we were charged a very reasonable fee per person per night.

Hope that helps,

Mandy (MUSC)

bazdog

Thanks for the advice on accomadation, Plenty to go on for that and the ferry won't be too bad cause i've got loads of tesco vouchers. The guidebook to Fermanagh is great and there are a couple of mentions on here but I am unsure on the current status of reyfad. I know this has been closed for a while but the SUI website lists it as only with the landowners permission so I'm wondering if it is possible to do this trip now or if it means you can't do it without permission and you have no chance of getting permission :-\ . Plenty to go at if this is a problem but it looks like a great trip so it would be nice to know if it is an option. Cheers

Stevo

Hello

When are you thinking of coming over? Reyfad is definately closed but there is many other caves available.

Stevo

bazdog

I've booked 14-18th of May off work so depending on the ferry we should be caving fri, sat and sunday ( weather permitting  ;))
Thought refrad was probably off limits but wondered why they don't just say no access on the sui website? Trying to drum up some numbers at the moment but seeing as we can only get four people to go to Yorkshire i'm guessing that we'll all fit in one car :-[