Trip ideas

Stu

So you've got a one day pass. Never been to Ireland before. Staying in Culmore, Derry. Where would you go?

paul

I've only caved in County Clare in Ireland. How far is Fermanagh from where you are going?

mudmonkey

If you're going to Fermanagh, everything floods but Tullyhona Rising takes some beating. Sporting and beautifully decorated. Also quite short which is a good thing if you've got a long drive at either end of the day.

Cascades is good and longer, Marble Arch pretty pleasant. All those trips can be done with negligible gear (take a few tapes fora climb in Marble Arch), but all three are very wet - take a wetsuit if you feel the cold. Prod's Pot is a good SRT trip. Noon's I was less impressed with - but then we couldn't find the connection to the main Arch cave streamway which rather biased things.

Does anyone know if Reyfad Pot is open now? It was closed a few years ago but is supposed to be excellent.

O

OtherDunc

ok, I suppose being one of the irish cavers on this I should reply :)

Clare's too far to travel to on a one-day pass. So you're stuck with Fermanagh.

Tullyhona Rising - be very careful of water levels.
Cascade Rising - a cracking trip. the entrances series is a bit of a sod (route finding is interesting), but beyond is very nice.
Marble Arch Cave - Normally need to contact the showcave (or other local contact to get a key) but access is closed at the moment. The show cave is putting in some new lighting and access to cave is denied until that work is complete (March?)
Prod's pot: Great SRT trip. mind the squeeze on the 5th! plenty to do once you reach the streamway.
Noons Hole: Again, mind the weather. The pitches can get very wet. As mentioned above finding the route to the Arch streamway is trickey.
Reyfad - No access. Don't even think of poaching it!
Poll na Gollum of the Boats - need to get permission. Contact a local caver for details. Mind the boulder chokes!
Poll na Raftra- need to get permission. Contact a local caver for details.

Give me a shout if you some contacts/ more details. When are you planning on going?

Dunc

Stu

February half term. Probably ferry + car so travelling not a problem. Ooops half term is 14th February - 18th just in case it's different in ireland. Prod's sounds interesting as I prefer vert to flat. Cheers all...and a pub trip was in no doubt. The host is a whiskey afficianado (sp?).