A cracking night at Kendal Mountain Festival

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
What a fantastic night on Friday at the Underground Session, at Kendal Mountain Festival  ;) ;)

For those of you who made a weekend of it, the weather gods were kind as it has been glorious in the Dales and Lakes - hence the late post, I've been out in the sunshine rather than sat at a computer  :)

Rumours were rife that the session had sold out, then there were fears there would be lots of empty seats  :eek:

wl

Steph Dwyer helping with the organising before being just brilliant at presenting the evening (y)

...however I'm pleased to report it was really well attended with many familiar faces in the audience - thank you to each and every caver who came to support the event  (y)  There were about 20? empty seats, however it was by far the biggest audience for an Underground Session yet - great.

wl

wl

wl

Christine, Jason, Imogen & Tim - who's steadying his nerves prior to giving his Introduction!

https://youtu.be/hKzxJgBatvE

The Town Hall is an excellent venue, the bar was buzzing as was the pub across the road afterwards  :beer:

....and as for the talks and films - they were all fabulous! Entertaining, inspiring and moving with plenty of laughter and banter during the first 2 talks - Christine's presentation included a film premier - The Mastercave - which was excellent, especially the footage of Chunky upside down in a swimming pool learning to cave dive  :LOL: but also the story of the exploration to date - I won't give too much away.  Imogen's presentation was wonderful, I thoroughly enjoyed every second and have never quite heard a caving talk like it - the audience even clapped half way through at one of her well made observations.  Then there was an interval, the bar got busy and there was that lovely sound of a room full of cavers and outdoor enthusiasts all chatting and enjoying themselves.

After the interval, Steph introduced Jason.  I was sat to the right of the audience, Jason was speaking to the left.  As the hour went by I could see that everyone in the audience had moved in their seats to focus on Jason - all heads were turned towards him as he spoke in his calm, confident way.  You could hear a pin drop.

What a shame there were those 20 empty seats - those people who could have been there but weren't missed out.

Thank you once again to Christine Grosart, Imogen Furlong, Jason Mallinson, Steph Dwyer and the Kendal Mountain Festival Team for making it such a memorable night - with special thanks from me to Tim who worked his socks off for weeks organising it all, well done hun.

adventurebarbie

I was thrilled to be approached by so many random people over the weekend who were awe struck by the event and whom were keen to try the sport.

Thankfully they know where to go - newtocaving

I?ve been to a lot of Kendal mountain festivals and I?ve never heard a round of a plause in the middle of a talk hehehe 🤣

Thanks so much to the speakers, I know hoe terrifying it is, and Tim and Jane for organising it.

A night I was proud to be a caver 😍

mikem

Some of my kayaking friends thoroughly enjoyed Jason's talk, so they weren't all cavers!

Mike

Alex

I said this at the time, but I met more people I knew at this event than any of the hidden earths, it was like somewhat of a reunion of old friends and so much so, my planned solo trip the next day was no longer solo.

Great talks too :)

chunky

A brilliant night, Christine, Imogen and Jason's talks were fantastic. Tim and Steph are now very professional 'old hats' at hosting and ensuring a smooth evening. This year for me has definitely cemented the underground session at Kendal as an annual fixture in my go to events calendar. Great job everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

adventurebarbie

I just love that picture :) its amazing.

A must watch film, a rare foray into the life of a cave diving explorer and all the great team work involved not to mention a fab cave.

Fantastic work and congrats to all involved.