Paul Eastwood & Dave Hetherington

Speleodroid

Just wondering if anyone can help me track down Paul Eastwood and Dave Hetherington. They were the two climbers who first climbed Gaping Gill main shaft and I am trying to get in touch with them

Thanks all!

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Bumped into Dave Hetherington in a shop in Kendal a couple of months ago.  He is around the Dales working as a paramedic I think.

Pitlamp

In case it helps (and to nip any debate in the bud about who did what and when) the history of free climbing attempts at Gaping Gill is described in an article in the Northern Pennine Club Journal 2015. (The O.P. is aware of this incidentally, as he and I have been in discussion recently.)

Pitlamp

Yes, RBJ was sadly killed in a mountaineering accident a long time ago. By pure chance I was talking to John Moore a while back. I had a good long chat about the climb he & RBJ did in 1972 and made some notes; that was what prompted me to research the article mentioned in my post just above. It includes a photo of RBJ and JM, each clutching a pint of beer, immediately after completing their climb.

But even they weren't the first to attempt the route. The first to have a go were probably Bob Peckham and John Chadwick in 1969 or 1970. There were also other attempts in and around the RBJ/JM climb and DH/PE climb. The point is history always remembers the individuals who made it but often forgets that the successful attempts relied heavily on what was learned from previous unsuccessful attempts. It's a fascinating story, with all aspects best considered collectively, so I thought it was well worth documenting in detail.

However, I did't want to hijack this topic - the main purpose being for Speleodroid to get contact information for Dave and / or Paul. Anybody who wants more detail should read the 2015 NPC Journal  (pages 73 - 76). It contains a lot of references for even further detail, if required.