'Like' and 'Say Thanks' buttons

Caver Keith

I'm a member of another forum which uses Simple Machines and to the left of the 'Quote' button (Top LH corner of a post) are 'Like' and 'Say Thanks' buttons.
Could this be implemented on this forum?
I often read a post on UKC and have nothing of value to add but would like the option to 'Like' the post of 'Say Thanks' to the poster.
Just a thought. What do others think?

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Ah Ha, this chestnut again - would you mind letting me know which forum it is you use please?  PM me, thank you  (y)

Filter

Personally I feel that this sort of implementation clutters the site and is largely unnecessary, mainly because it adds nothing of value to the page. Plus, all the notifications of likes and thanks would make this place worse than Facebook...

Subpopulus Hibernia

A thank you button is something I miss from other forums that I use. I don't think it clutters the other forums I use. Certainly I'd find it a lot more useful and less annoying than those bloody animated emoticons...

Inferus

The chestnut that has been done to death!

I just did a quick search for a thank you button for SMF and it shows up easily and would work on this version of forum. I agree with the sentiments of dcrtuk; I quite often don't wish to make a post just to say thanks (or have anything worth adding) and to be honest it gets boring scrolling past numerous posts of "thanks" (just as much clutter, as Filter calls it, IMHO). The "Say Thanks" forum mod displays a list of all those that have "said thanks" at the bottom of the post - so those who wish to be thankful can still get that warm fuzzy feeling without making a thread unnecessarily long. As long as someone "saying thanks" does not show up as an update to a thread/showing as new post then I see no problem..

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to try 'like/thank you' type buttons - we could always get rid of them if it didn't work.

Worry not, we'll never be like facebook - not enough IT nous or millions to spend for two things - here I would put a grinning face, however in deference to SH I will resist....

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks inferus - I wasn't aware of thank you buttons.  Will add to the list when I next meet with the IT Guys.

Caver Keith

bograt said:
WHY?------
Well. for example, I've just noticed elsewhere that Andy and Antonia's latest video has been posted. It's very good and I would like to say either thanks for posting or that I like it. I could add a comment but then the thread would get very long with with lots of people (hopefully) praising the video in lots of different ways. The way these buttons are implemented is a heart (like) of thumbs up (thank you) appears at the bottom of the post along with a list of the names of those who have either said thanks or have liked it. Very simple, very neat and I think it is worth considering, even if only for an experimental period.

Kenilworth

dcrtuk said:
I could add a comment but then the thread would get very long with with lots of people (hopefully) praising the video in lots of different ways.

What on Earth is wrong with that? I would much prefer to be thanked in some genuine way rather than by means of a measly mouse click.

bograt

dcrtuk said:
bograt said:
WHY?------
Well. for example, I've just noticed elsewhere that Andy and Antonia's latest video has been posted. It's very good and I would like to say either thanks for posting or that I like it. I could add a comment but then the thread would get very long with with lots of people (hopefully) praising the video in lots of different ways. The way these buttons are implemented is a heart (like) of thumbs up (thank you) appears at the bottom of the post along with a list of the names of those who have either said thanks or have liked it. Very simple, very neat and I think it is worth considering, even if only for an experimental period.

ERRH-------????

Inferus

Kenilworth said:
dcrtuk said:
I could add a comment but then the thread would get very long with with lots of people (hopefully) praising the video in lots of different ways.

What on Earth is wrong with that? I would much prefer to be thanked in some genuine way rather than by means of a measly mouse click.
I quite often view this forum on my mobile at work, on a varying 3G signal. I wouldn't look at a video but some posts I look at and think; interesting, I like that etc - but I never post because tapping out a simple reply is a pain on a phone and to be honest I sometimes don't have the time (damn work!) A measly click of a button would work for me in that scenario.

Kenilworth

Yep, typing the words "thanks" or "nice!" or, help us, "interesting" (what a whopper!) would be both time-consuming and exhausting.

The real reason that this is a bad idea is that, admittedly or not, it will become a secondary (or for some a primary) goal of posters to accumulate and revel in and compare "likes". This is the reason that such features are popular. They create new (or help feed and define the current) cliques as "like"-hungry posters reciprocate mindless bottom-smooching.

Subpopulus Hibernia

Here's a random page from Boards.ie with ample use of the thanks buttons.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057225656

I find it quite useful on pages like this where you want to signal approvement of something without using a full post with something banal like 'I agree' or 'cheers for that' in the post. It's the equivalent of nodding a head in agreement when you're among people, rather than saying 'hear hear' while waving a copy of the Daily Telegraph in the House of Commons.

Pegasus, t'would be nice if you could try it out for a month and if people aren't emailing you with cries of 'WHY------????' then I'd urge you to keep it.

Inferus

Kenilworth said:
Yep, typing the words "thanks" or "nice!" or, help us, "interesting" (what a whopper!) would be both time-consuming and exhausting.
You might be the kind of person that would post that rather lacking and limited reply, but not me. So don't tar me with your brush please.

Kenilworth

Inferus said:
Kenilworth said:
You might be the kind of person that would post that rather lacking and limited reply, but not me. So don't tar me with your brush please.

You are advocating the use of a button to say "thanks". Not I.

I usually have quite the opposite problem, and struggle to be concise.

Inferus

Kenilworth said:
Inferus said:
Kenilworth said:

You are advocating the use of a button to say "thanks". Not I.

I usually have quite the opposite problem, and struggle to be concise.
Yes, little old me, advocating a button which is quick, simple and saves bloating a forum with pointless crappy posts (oh gosh, I'm being as guilty as you here..)

cavermark

Kenilworth said:
The real reason that this is a bad idea is that, admittedly or not, it will become a secondary (or for some a primary) goal of posters to accumulate and revel in and compare "likes". This is the reason that such features are popular. They create new (or help feed and define the current) cliques as "like"-hungry posters reciprocate mindless bottom-smooching.

If cavers are really going to be posting primarily in the hope of collecting lots of "likes" they would be doing it already, in the hope of pages of replies with "thumbs up" emoticons, or "interesting - what a whopper" type comments.
I think if people are looking for instant gratification in the form of lots of "likes" on UKC they will be disappointed!

The "thanks" or "like" buttons are more for the benefit of the people reading - to acknowledge useful advice, an interesting trip report, or a funny joke, without filling threads with loads of replies saying thanks.

Bottlebank

Like buttons are a great way of encouraging people who are reluctant to comment to get involved, I'd have them.

Peter Burgess

Perhaps it's possible for the poster to decide whether they want a "thanks/like" option on their contributions and omit it if they don't want them.