Axe Hole problem

Jenny P

Information just received from Steve Knox of CCPC:

On a walk in torrential rain over Stanley Moor yesterday (Sunday 29 March), John Preston and I noticed that a 'freezer-sized' boulder has 'slipped' out of the steep bank directly above the crawl entrance of Axe Hole. The boulder is precariously poised, and looks ready to drop at any time, potentially closing off the entrance, and obviously having dire consequences for anyone underneath or in the cave. A good 'tweak' with a scaffold pole might solve the problem, but we had nothing with us. Thought it might be worth circulating the information.

Jenny Potts,

Hon. Sec. DCA

Pete K

I am free on Thursday the 2nd to go and move this rock. If anyone is free to help that would be appreciated. I might also need a scaffold bar.
PM me if you can help.
Pete K
DCA Projects.

Pete K

Sorry this did not get any attention today, I was too busy and had no offers of assistance. I am away for most of the month now so I'm afraid someone else will need to attend to this.

nigel n

After some persuasion the boulder has now moved downward and is plugging the entrance to Axe Hole.  It may settle a little more but is basically safe though the cave is now inaccessible.  A day or so would make this rather nice little cave accessible again  - probably need some chemical help.

Pete K

The boulder is completely blocking the entrance to Axe Hole now. Does anyone know who the landowner is as it looks like the rock needs to be dispatched by other means than brute force?

nigel n

I suspect it may be the people at Countess Cliff farm (at the end of the track).  The people at the farm on the other side of the road (below Grinlow, just east of the country park entrance) would almost certainly know.

Jenny P

The landowners have now been contacted and permission given to remove the rock by specially persuasive means.  Once this has been done, at the landowner's request, the entrance needs to be made stock-proof.

Members of Crewe CPC have the task in hand - thanks guys- but it may take a wee while for everything to be done.  We'll keep you posted.

Jenny Potts,
DCA Hon. Sec.

Pete K

Tonight a joint venture of DCRO and Crewe members, led by Shotlighter, dispatched the boulder with a big bang and restored access to the cave. The hole has been left covered with a old gate to make it stock proof which must be replaced after any visit. Some bits of rock may still be sat in the entrance of the cave so take care. I'll start a new thread to ask for help with a permanent cap.