Ashwood Dale Resurgence

richardg

I find the geology and hydrology of this particular site. extremely interesting.

I am considering starting a project here.....

Is there anyone other than me with a past / present  active or theoretical interest in this Resurgence ?

Richard.

Pitlamp

The Orpheus has certainly been active there over the years.

Try: Gregson P, 1996, "Ashwood Dale Resurgence", OCC Newsletter 32 (6) June 1996, page 44 & page 47. This includes a survey. (If you're in the area, maybe swing by the Orpheus hostel and ask if you can look at it in the library?)

There is nothing in CDG Newsletters which I'm aware of (probably because it's been looked at whilst dry rather than as a flowing resurgence). The CDG Peak District Sump Index Update 1997 states that the resurgence: "is normally at least partly sumped but in dry weather a crawl can be followed for about 6 m to where it becomes too tight. In these conditions there is sometimes a strong draught; digging continues from time to time."

Hope that helps (or at least encourages you).  (y)

Pitlamp

P.S. If you can get sight of a copy of John Beck's thesis I think you'd find a lot of useful information on this area.

T pot 2

Looked at this resurgence and the aquafer above on a few occasions since the 70s there is a site approx 1mile away to the south that could pay dividends by digging if permission could be obtained. The description is correct from what I remember but it doesn't mention the leeches.
Moose and S Puckering also looked at this sometime in the 80s as did B Bentham. There is another resurgence further down river that is often ignored but may be as important.

richardg

Good morning...
Thank you that is very quick feedback Pitlanp and T Pot 2 especially with the extra references and the mention of the other rising......

bograt

Thanks for that link Phil, brings back many memories (y)

Point of interest, if you enter Noel Christopher in the search box on that site, you can get his 1981 thesis on water trace analysis - also interesting reading...

richardg

Pitlamp. T Pot. PW Hole and Bog Rat that is a fantastic resource of information...... I have really enjoyed reading through these academic master pieces, thought I need to see the OCC journal yet... Boy there is such a huge amount of information to learn from here about the whole of Northern Derbyshire...... 

pwhole

I've had to drag out the thesis yet again today for the Peak-Speedwell bedding plane comparisons - it never ceases to be of use. Strangely though, my copy is only 37.5MB, and yet the one available to download is 151MB. Dunno why, as that's where I downloaded it from yonks ago.

RobinGriffiths

Yes, certainly made a good read. <Off Topic> Some master list of such caving related theses would be an useful resource. Not being in academia, why are some theses behind academic paywalls and others like this, and the John Gunn Draenen one not?</Off Topic>

Robin

richardg

What interests me about Ashwood Dale is a dye trace that shows an origin  about two miles to the south ..

The same dye Trace turned up at Bubble Springs which is close on eight and a half miles away.... (In the opposite direction!)

Both routes have a fair depth of limestone to allow for a good gradient

The run through time was fastest in the Ashwood Dale Resurgence direction about 450 meters a day

There are other Resurgences in the locality  of Ashwood Dale Resurgence where the same dye turned up..... this would seem to hint at an extensive undiscovered integrated cave system

And the fact there is a"very strong draught " at this extremity of the potential system would appear to make this  a prime objective...

Interesting?

I hope I am OK quoting this reference and am not braking any copyright ;

A fantastic resource .........

Dye tests were done by DrVanessa Banks
Ref Karst Hydrology 2007

bograt

I've always been intrigued with Lovers Leap Gorge which drops away from Dukes Drive near the first sharp bend from the A6 end, this is likely related to the same development, as are the holes in Deepdale, up from Topley Pike.

AR

pwhole said:
I've had to drag out the thesis yet again today for the Peak-Speedwell bedding plane comparisons - it never ceases to be of use. Strangely though, my copy is only 37.5MB, and yet the one available to download is 151MB. Dunno why, as that's where I downloaded it from yonks ago.

Was the original download lacking appendices? The version of Vanessa Banks' thesis that was available online lacked the appendices though I got hold of them through a different route, namely Richard Shaw, whose thesis is also available through the link above, ditto Noel Worley and Nick Butcher.

Speleokitty1

I always assumed the water can from the area South East of King Sterndale (I don't know why) This area was is riddled with depressions but with no definitive sinkhole. Quite a few of the fields in this area have been "improved" but others remain the same. I'm sure there will be historical aerial photographs of this area available somewhere which could prove quite interesting.

I wasn't aware of the dye tracing. Where was the dye released?

Regards

Julie

AR

The National Archives hold a very good collection of air photographs, the whole country was done in 1947-48. You can get photocopies of them but it's hard to pick out detail, really you need a proper print if you're wanting to study them carefully, or you have to go down to Swindon and look at the archive prints there.

richardg

Hi Speleokitty ... Thank you for your input and interest,.

The dye traces are in Dr Vennesa Banks  PhD thesis if anyone wants to find out more....  Where the dye was injected, grid referances, differing flow conditions etc...... There is a tremendous amount of sometimes complex information, I am not too keen to republish too much of Vennesas hard work as I would feel a bit guilty of plagiarism.. However she has done a marvellous job of producing an excellent resource and it is available on line for anyone to access who might be interested in local Karst geohydrology.....

As you will know from your own personal knowledge of the area,  cavers have from generation to generation pottered about looking at the various depressions and relic caves  in the area that you mention,  I think the Orpheus Caving Club had some success on digging projects in these caves but the main sutteranean watercourses still await discovery and Exploration...

Good idea Julie to look at the old Aerial photos ....although Google etc would one might think show up present topography and hint at where landscaping might have been done....

Richard

richardg

AR said:
The National Archives hold a very good collection of air photographs, the whole country was done in 1947-48. You can get photocopies of them but it's hard to pick out detail, really you need a proper print if you're wanting to study them carefully, or you have to go down to Swindon and look at the archive prints there.

Wow AR that is a very interesting resource especially as so many areas since that time, seventy years ago have changed through development.... Off topic though is that I have a mate who is into world war two RAF bases and landing strips, I'll tell him about the information you have given here, that's great ta.....

Speleokitty1

Hi Richard

Thanks for the information on the recent PhD Thesis (I had completely missed this as it was so recent) that I wasn't aware of but will now read fully read as it is easily searchable via Google. I was one of the many people that looked at this place in the early '90's but was too big to get vey far (even bigger now -:). I understand some very small TSG members got further more recently but the forward passage needs enlarging even for the very small. This has to be a project worth progressing.

Regards

Julie

AR

The 47-48 air photos were done by the RAF aerial recon units and so were shot as stereoscopic pairs, so with a stereo viewer you get 3D as well as really good detail! There are also some oblique shots but the coverage is much patchier, and there are later sets from the early 1960s, (I've had copies of some from March 1963 where the snow was part-melted which gives good contrasts) and OS air survey sets from the early 1970s.