Bad Air in Long Rake Mine, Bradwell Moor

JB

Message from Chris Broome (DCA)

DO NOT DESCEND LONG RAKE MINE, BRADWELL MOOR UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

On the weekend of 24/25 May 2008 two cavers were taken seriously ill with Carbon Monoxide poisoning in Long Rake Mine on Bradwell Moor. The source of the Carbon Monoxide is not known and DCA are advising that cavers should not descend Long Rake until further notice.

http://www.thedca.org.uk/

Cave_Troll

I've left a voice mail for the SUSS members who were planning to go down tonight.
Can't see anythign yet on the DCA website

Katie

Yeah, i texted around 8:30. In fact i  reckon Rob would have done too and likely others so have definately been warned!

LarryFatcat

Was up there on Saturday having a mooch around and saw it was rigged.  There was a very strong wind blowing over the open lid.  Something nasty may have been sucked out of the depths.

I don't understand how it could possibly be Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Dioxide yes. CO is a product of incomplete combustion of carbon based fuels e.g. gas or petrol. I would find it very hard to believe there could be a build up of Carbon Monoxide underground unless a generator or somesuch was being used in a poorly ventilated area.

Dan.

Rob

danthecavingman said:
I don't understand how it could possibly be Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Dioxide yes. CO is a product of incomplete combustion of carbon based fuels e.g. gas or petrol. I would find it very hard to believe there could be a build up of Carbon Monoxide underground unless a generator or somesuch was being used in a poorly ventilated area.

Or there may be Zinc down there.  :confused:
Zn + CaCO3 → ZnO + CaO + CO

paul

danthecavingman said:

Dan.

There's a quarry not far away and blasting can produce Carbon Monoxide.

From the original report:
"It appears that a group of cavers got into difficulties at the weekend on the 5th pitch and struggled to get out with severe symptoms of what they thought was CO2 poisoning. They contacted emergency services on exit as they felt so bad and were admitted to hospital where Carbon MONOXIDE poisoning was diagnosed."

Then perhaps someone has been banging the bottom of Long Rake and not letting other cavers know. There is no way that CO from the blasting at Earles could reach Long Rake.

Blood tests would be the only way of diagnosing Carbon Monoxide poisoning as the presence of Carboxyhaemaglobin would show up. Acute exposure to high levels of CO2 would produce similar but rapidly reversible effects to those of carbon monoxide poisoning. I.e. fatigue, headache, diziness, nausea. Carbon Monoxide is so insidious and poisonous that by the time any cavers had gone into an area where levels were high enough to produce those symptoms they would be dying anyway. Sounds like these guys were lucky. See this link - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/healthfitness/health_advice/netdoctor/archive/001144.html

So if someone has a banging project on the go down Long Rake and wants to fess up....

Pete K

The air quality seemed good down there before lambing season, even right at the bottom. I was considering starting a dig down there soon, may have to hold off for a bit though, see what happens. :-\

Mark

Ive got a triple gas detector on hire at the moment, would test for carbon monoxide, h2s and co2, if any one wants to go down and take this with them, it would alarm on the first traces of carbon monoxide, I need it back sunday though.

nickwilliams

Rather than let this fizzle out, I think it would be worth trying to get to the bottom of exactly what did cause the problems. While I've got no basis on which to dispute the hospital findings, I'm with Dan on being suspicious about this. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning would be highly unusual in these circumstances and if indeed it was the cause of the group's difficulties then I'd rather like to know how it came to happen so it could be avoided in future, rather than it being treated as 'just one of those things'.

Is is possible for members of the party to explain what tests were done in order for the hospital to reach this conclusion?

Nick.

SamT

Can anyone take mark up on his offer of the gas detector - it would certainly answer any question of whether CO is present or not. 

T

Taoist

Just a thought but is it possible these guys picked up the CO before they entered the mine?
The symptoms of CO poisoning can come on gradually and I'm guessing they would be noticed more with physical exertion, maybe these guys had a leaky exhaust in the car and picked up the CO on the drive?

underground

By all means continue the discussion (in fact please do!), but so people are aware - for clarity I've split Jenny Potts' 'DCA report' into a new locked sticky which can be found at the top of the Derbyshire forum. If anyone wants to provide an update to the situation please contact one of the mods....

SamT

I think taosists suggesting possibly has some gravity. Anyone I have spoken to is finding it very hard to believe that this is the cause of thier difficulties. CO2 possibly, rather than CO.

It would be interesting to see if someone (perhaps from dca) could talk to the hospital about this. (could the abulance have had a leaky exhaust on the way to the hospital  :confused:). Just because CO appeared on the hospitals tests, doesnt mean its direct evidence of the cause of thier illness.

The blasting fumes thing just doesnt seem to add up to me, if there was a draught blowing from the quarry face and into long rake, and supposing *enough* fumes did get carried along (the volume of air in long rake is pretty vast, its hardly a small pokey place) then surely they'd carry on moving and pressumably up the chimney like shaft.

There is an active stream way in the bottom, and its possible that this is giving off some sort of gas.

I think DCA ought to act on this in some way to clear up any doubt to prevent any issues with access to the place.
:coffee:

nickwilliams

I've seen an e-mail this evening which indicates that the hospital did indeed do blood tests, and the result was 10% CO poisoning. I also understand that an enquiry is being made to the quarry to find out when they were last blasting.

Does anyone know if there is an accurate survey of the mine, and if so where is it published?

Nick.