Response to "Britain's Biggest Adventures" TV Series

BCA Chair

BCA has released a response to "Britain's Biggest Adventures" TV Series. A copy is below:

Caving is an exciting, challenging and rewarding sport suitable for most fitness levels and giving the average person the opportunity to see things that few others have experienced. We are extremely lucky to have world-class caves on our doorstep and anything that might encourage newcomers to try the sport, or that simply improves public awareness of what is beneath our feet, is to be encouraged.

Unfortunately the recent ITV series ?Britain?s Biggest Adventures? falls badly short of the mark. Not only was Bear Grylls, the show?s presenter, very poorly equipped, but he also apparently set off underground knowing that water levels were very high and likely to rise further.

By its nature caving has its hazards, but enjoyed responsibly has a superb safety record. Every week across the UK hundreds of people venture underground for the first time and for some of these a lifelong passion is awoken. The British Caving Association would like take the opportunity to encourage everyone to experience the unique underground environment for themselves, but to do so with due care and common sense.

It has been published on our website and copies are being sent to ITV, the production company and the Scout Association.

cap n chris

(y)

A well worded and considered response; hat doffed suitably.

Minor (very minor) observation though. IIRC Porth has an average of 600 visiting cavers per week; combine that with a vibrant instructed trip community on Mendip, Devon and our more northerly comrades and the figure is certainly into four digits. Hence it could reasonably (and probably more accurately) state that "Every week across the UK over a thousand people venture underground, many for the first time, and for some of these a lifelong passion is awoken".

Pitlamp

In case it helps, was it only me who spotted the typo in paragraph 3?
Last sentence - like to take?

Yes, I agree with Chris - well put.

mch

I did spot it but decided not to point it out for fear of accusations of pedantry! Thank you Pitlamp for showing the way!

Pitlamp

I only mentioned it in case there was time to make the amendment before the piece was sent to ITV etc. Not being pedantic for its own sake, honest!  ;)

badger

well said but I fear, know, that the said people will just send back the pre scripted response's that have already been released.