My friends cancelled caving on me due to snow...

alastairgott

My friends called me up this morning as they had snow on the east of the Pennines. I looked at the webcams and could see the road on the cat and fiddle, so wondered what they were on about. Just took a look now and I can see why, there?s no road up there!

Attachments

• FEF6C624-ACC1-48DD-B4DF-F911C41D797A.png
    FEF6C624-ACC1-48DD-B4DF-F911C41D797A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 325
  • E5BAD698-1C10-4928-8DF2-5BE6F15EFB24.png
    E5BAD698-1C10-4928-8DF2-5BE6F15EFB24.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134

Pete K

Nothing gritted round here so I'd have had to snow chain it to get out and meet you. New Mills is gloriously white. 2 inches more down since I woke up and messaged Phil!

pwhole

I just spent half an hour unblocking grates down my street to avoid another catastrophe - of flooding. Don't get me started on underfunded council services at this time - the sun just came out! Tomorrow we will try again!

AR

It came down thick and fast - when I went up to feed and muck out the ponies at 7.30 there was a light dusting, when I left at 9.30 I had to sweep a good inch and a half off the car before setting off for home.

tdobson

At 11am it was a definite "I don't feel I want to move" from me.

Was kind of ok on the roads in Glossop by 5pm.

Aiming to do Glossop <-> Edale today around 10am. Wish me luck!

Pete K

Take 2 - Don't worry Mr Gott, I'm sure you'll finally get to enjoy my company today.

thehungrytroglobite

My housemate and I were stuck in Bullpot farm with a very large, very dodgy and semi-falling apart van. The track back down to the valley bottom was covered with a lot of black ice / water ice. We couldn't leave first thing because wanted to see if the sun would thaw it a bit, which meant that we had to go caving again to pass the time. Such a shame.

Eventually made it down but the drive was absolutely terrifying!

alastairgott

It is amazing to be at bull pot when it?s snowed, we were warned on a Saturday morning (a few years ago) of impending snow, so packed up as much as we could and drove down to the pub in casterton (not knowing you could park closer in the barbondale valley).

Then walked back up to BPF and had some time after that for a photo trip into bull pot of the witches. Extra-faff weekend!

Fjell

Winter tyres. You know it makes sense.

There is usually some grit in the tubs on the hill up from Casterton if you are desperate. Just use the handy spade you brought with you.

Attachments

• 0755A771-6494-40D8-8101-5463BA279D2E.jpeg
    0755A771-6494-40D8-8101-5463BA279D2E.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 124

Fulk

Conditions were quite interesting on Ingleborough a couple of days ago; although not strictly necessary (there were a number of people up there without them) crampons were certainly very useful:

Attachments

• Way up Ingleborough copy.jpg
    Way up Ingleborough copy.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 134

pwhole

Fjell said:
Winter tyres. You know it makes sense.

There is usually some grit in the tubs on the hill up from Casterton if you are desperate. Just use the handy spade you brought with you.

Where can I pick up the handy little guy to operate it though? Is there an agency or something? ;)

pwhole

alastairgott said:
Thanks for the trip yesterday, great company and I hope the tests turn out alright.

I should point out that's a pull-test not a Covid test. Though I did lick them all clean...

Mrs Trellis

[quote author=pwhole]

I should point out that's a pull-test not a Covid test. Though I did lick them all clean...
[/quote]

Way too much information.

Fjell

It?s essential to always use the appropriate equipment when it?s icy.

Attachments

• B310E996-39D2-4FEE-AD8C-257B7813FA0E.jpeg
    B310E996-39D2-4FEE-AD8C-257B7813FA0E.jpeg
    685.1 KB · Views: 127