Masson Cave

JefeBo55

Can anyone point me towards the entrance on this survey. Ta

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/documents/great-masson-Lead-Mine/Masson-main.pdf

AR

At the far left-hand side - the red line is the approximate quarry face line, and the greyed-over bits are parts that are no longer accessible, the thing to look for when finding the climb down in the quarry face breakdown is a p-hanger above the hole that leads into the system. There's also a second entrance not shown on the plan,  that's just under the quarry face and if you go in there and turn left, that'll take you on some hands-and-knees crawls to the top of a short shaft with an old gym rope on it that leads to the coffin level into Crichman Chamber

Brains

AR said:
At the far left-hand side - the red line is the approximate quarry face line, and the greyed-over bits are parts that are no longer accessible, the thing to look for when finding the climb down in the quarry face breakdown is a p-hanger above the hole that leads into the system. There's also a second entrance not shown on the plan,  that's just under the quarry face and if you go in there and turn left, that'll take you on some hands-and-knees crawls to the top of a short shaft with an old gym rope on it that leads to the coffin level into Crichman Chamber
Last time I passed that way the gym rope appeared to be fixed with a key ring  :eek: You may want to free climb the short shaft...

At the far end of the quarry there is an overhang with numerous bits of climbing tat, go up to it on the path on the LHS. Holes as described will drop you in near Crichman Chamber

Fishes

That gym rope has probably been in place for around 30 years. I would now treat it with extreme caution.

There is also a lot of passage to the west of the quarry that has survived. It can be accessed from the western entrance by climbing up to the back of the chamber and turning right. A lot of this is shown on the original survey but be aware that its not 100% accurate.

pwhole

And if you do go that west way (King Mine), you must pass under King Shaft, which is about 3m in diameter and has about a hundred tons of boulders suspended about 4m above the floor  - no way around it. If you're going that way it's probably best to try and find someone who knows the route - there's not much else that's dangerous other than the shaft, though there is a very flat-out crawl immediately after the entrance slope that will filter out the chubbier - again, no way round it. Might be best to stick to the main system initially as there's far less to go wrong in there - and it's fabulous.

JefeBo55

pwhole said:
] flat-out crawl immediately after the entrance slope that will filter out the chubbier

Best thing I've read on here  ;) you must have met me!

It's a cool cave no doubt. Was super warm though!