CRoW Ballot ~ Corruption ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Adams

I have received an unsolicited email from the "no" camp on CRoW with a whole load of other email addresses attached ....

How has this "confidential" information (email addresses) been obtained ?????

What's going on ?

Ian

Dave Tyson

Just chuck it in the trash can. I guess you have a public address like me and someone has harvested the addresses...

I haven't had any mail like this so far, but its too late anyway as I have voted.

Dave

Ian Adams

Errrr ... the other recipients are also all "cavers". I am concerned that my email address (and everyone elses) may have been improperly obtained from a privileged source. Moreover, I am being asked to promote a "no" vote to all my club members.

Also, your name is on the list of recipients Dave - you might want to check your junk folder ?

Ian

martinm

Jackalpup said:
Errrr ... the other recipients are also all "cavers". I am concerned that my email address (and everyone elses) may have been improperly obtained from a privileged source. Moreover, I am being asked to promote a "no" vote to all my club members.

Also, your name is on the list of recipients Dave - you might want to check your junk folder ?

Ian

The BCA ballot doc does not contain anything advising one way or the other. I was very impressed with the professionalism of it and have also already voted. Like was said above, just bin it, it is not official. (Though I would really like to see it, tbh!) Might be able to work out who sent it to you. Just a thought...

crickleymal

However they have obtained the emails I doubt if it is corruption on the BCA's part. There was certainly nothing in the ballot papers that I received to influence you one way or the other.

Peter Burgess

Jackalpup said:
I have received an unsolicited email from the "no" camp on CRoW with a whole load of other email addresses attached ....
Ian - you have not received an email from any "camp", yes or no. You have received an email from an individual. Do you really think there is a bunch of people secretly ganging up to conspire to send out spam? Implying there is some underhand plot going on is no better than the unsolicited spamming itself.

Pete K

Bad title to get attention, this email has nothing to do with the ballot or corruption. It's not a good occurrence but the last thing anyone wants is more CRoW threads.

Peter Burgess

Pete K said:
Bad title to get attention, this email has nothing to do with the ballot or corruption. It's not a good occurrence but the last thing anyone wants is more CRoW threads.
Well put. Daily Fail headline-writer at work!

Ian Adams

The email is from the secretary of the CSCC with an attachment PDF of the "no" view point and a request to pass it on to all the members of the club I am in.

It has been carbon copied to a large number of people (all of whom I now have the email addresses of) - I would like to know how the list of people was obtained ... It's not a random list but rather a very specific one and it's starts;

Dear BCA member ....

My concern is the mis-use of privileged information to sway a ballot.

Ian

hrock

well the bca have my email and i did not get it. also where you not to be a bca member you would not get a vote and as such the email would not be for your attention. they did not know you were a member they guessed and it got your attention. 

Pitlamp

I'm a BCA member and I've not received any such message.

Whatever the reason is for the communication you got, I don't think this is something planned collectively by those volunteers who run BCA on our behalf.

I haven't voted yet; I'm still finding this a difficult decision. I'm not really interested in politics generally but the one thing I've learned (from national politics) is - beware the person who appears to have the easy answer; things are rarely that simple.

Peter Burgess

Of course we should be used to people doing things in an underhand way. It doesn't excuse it, however. There have been various examples in recent years. Secretly conspiring to achieve a desired outcome from a democratic process is not exactly absent from the annuls of caving history.

Bottlebank

Jackalpup said:
I didn't say it was from the BCA, It came from the CSCC ....

Ian

Jackalpup said:
The email is from the secretary of the CSCC ...

Seems a lot of fuss about nothing, have you checked who it was sent to - I assume yours was sent to info@ucet.org.uk just as mine was sent to enquiries@earbypotholeclub.co.uk.

These all seem to be publicly available addresses to me, I can't see what the problem is.

Andy Sparrow

Bottlebank said:
Jackalpup said:
I didn't say it was from the BCA, It came from the CSCC ....

Ian

Jackalpup said:
The email is from the secretary of the CSCC ...

Seems a lot of fuss about nothing, have you checked who it was sent to - I assume yours was sent to info@ucet.org.uk just as mine was sent to enquiries@earbypotholeclub.co.uk.

These all seem to be publicly available addresses to me, I can't see what the problem is.

I have received this email and have access to all the email addresses.  It's not just clubs and organisations, there are many email addresses for individuals included - it's actually such a comprehensive list of useful addresses that I shall be using it for marketing mail shots.  Thank you CSCC!

Ian is right - it stinks.

Whilst not corruption in the truest sense of the word...
As UCET and Earby Pothole Club are NOT part of the CSCC it begs the question what on earth in their remit gives them the right to send out "spam" campaigning literature to individuals and clubs that are not in anyway affiliated with them?

Bottlebank

jasonbirder said:
As UCET and Earby Pothole Club are NOT part of the CSCC it begs the question what on earth in their remit gives them the right to send out "spam" campaigning literature to individuals and clubs that are not in anyway affiliated with them?

Perhaps they thought members of other clubs might appreciate the chance of reading their opinion. They are BCA members.

cap n chris

Suspect a simple oversight in failing to click CC for the email addresses might explain at least part of the upset; having done this countless times before myself I know the feeling! To err is human etc..

Peter Burgess

jasonbirder said:
It's nothing to do with rights - it's more a matter of what's acceptable.

Antwan

Its called campaigning, get over it. Not quite as bad as the coalition government taken teachers pensions out of the Pensions spending figure and grouping it in with welfare to justify spending cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.